Avocado caprese salad
Okay, I know salad isn’t the most interesting thing in the world, but a caprese salad is different. Juicy tomatoes, creamy fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil – it’s an incredible combination that makes me feel bad for always saying how much I dislike salad. If salad was always this good, I’d happily bathe in it (…was that weird?).
Aaaanyway, as I said when I made my corn and avocado fritters, everything is better with avocado. So this is an extra special version of a caprese salad – an avocado caprese salad! With some leafy greens and a simple balsamic dressing that goes perfectly with the other ingredients.
I added a touch of agave nectar to the dressing (you could use honey if you prefer), and I can’t believe the difference that just one tablespoon made. Paired with the tangy balsamic, the slight sweetness really brought everything together. When I have a meal, I usually eat the worst thing on the plate first so I can leave the best til last, and although salad is usually the first to go, this stayed on my plate through the entire meal as I happily munched away.
Since there’s only so much I can say about salad, I want to talk about something else that I’m loving at the moment – Nashville! I’ve only just finished season one (no spoilers please!) so I’m seriously behind the times – my defence is that as far as I know, it’s not actually aired in the UK. We’re not really big on country music over here (the closest we’ve come lately is that Timber song by Ke$ha… yeah. I know.), but I think if I lived in the US I would definitely be rocking a pair of cowboy boots and a big hat. If only I could pull off a pair of tiny denim shorts…
Does anyone else watch Nashville? If not, what else should I be watching?
Avocado caprese salad
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
- 100 g mixed salad leaves
- 100 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 150 g fresh mozzarella torn into chunks
- 3 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 avocado
- Begin by mixing up the dressing. Combine the balsamic, agave and olive oil, along with some seasoning, and mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad leaves with the tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Just before serving, dice the avocado and add it to the salad along with the dressing. Toss until the dressing is evenly distributed, and serve immediately.