A simple one for you today, as we near the end of Peppadew week! There’s one more easy dinner coming up for you tomorrow, so today I’m sharing another easy holiday snack that takes approximately zero skill, barely any effort, and less than 10 minutes of prep time. My kind of recipe.
And before you go saying ‘how can baking buns require no skill?’ – you should know by now that I like short-cuts. These cheese rolls are actually made from a shop-bought pizza dough! As long as you go for a good quality one, it will puff up nicely and your guests will be none the wiser.
The pizza dough just needs to be cut into strips, which you then sprinkle with the black olives and Peppadew peppers. Be generous – they both give a really amazing flavour to these cheese rolls. Don’t worry if your strips of dough aren’t perfect, or if you’re a bit messy with your toppings. Remember, this is supposed to be a low effort recipe, so you don’t need to be too meticulous. They’ll taste great either way.
Roll ’em up, and place them on a tray to bake. You can roll them totally straight, or make a slight pyramid shape like the one you can see below. To be honest I’m not entirely sure this shape was deliberate… so just go with whatever happens.
Now’s the time to add that cheesy topping. I used cheddar, and you only need a little pinch of grated cheese on top of each bun. Bake them until they’re nice and golden, and serve them up warm or cold. These little cheese rolls are real people-pleasers – and if you’re not having a party any time soon, they’re great served alongside a meal as well.
I love the spiral shape – I always eat them working inwards, following the dough round. I am aware that this is probably the sort of thing a six year old would do rather than a 26 year old, but I enjoy it! Inside they’re soft and doughy, and the flavours of those black olives and spicy Peppadews get right into the middle.
Don’t forget to head over to the Peppadew website to claim your discount coupon to use on your next purchase!
Black olive and Peppadew cheese rolls
- 380 g good-quality pizza dough (enough for 1 medium pizza)
- 60 g drained peppadew piquante peppers (1/3 of a 400g jar, or ~ 2/3 cup)
- 4 tbsp sliced black olives
- 4 tbsp grated cheddar cheese
- Roll out the pizza dough, and cut into strips around 2cm wide. Chop the Peppadews and black olives, and spread them evenly along the strips of dough. Roll each strip up to form a spiral, and place on a lightly greased baking tray. Sprinkle the rolls with grated cheese, and bake at 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F) for around 25 minutes, or until the dough is fully cooked and the cheese is golden brown.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose.