August is nearly over, which means the summer is too – but there’s always time for one more sunshiney recipe (I will cling onto this summer if it kills me)! These blueberry and peach green tea ice lollies are perfect for enjoying the last few days of sunshine this summer (and perhaps if we get an Indian summer too). Tea might be an ingredient you usually associate with the cooler months – warming your hands with a mug of something hot – but ice lollies are an easy way to make your favourite tea more summery.
I used a BRITA kettle to make my green tea (peach flavoured – swoon), which has a BRITA water filter built in. We live in an area with incredibly hard water and our old kettle was completely clogged up with limescale, so this should really help to keep the water fresher and tasting better, and looking clearer. My husband drinks about 50 cups of tea a day (slight exaggeration… maybe…) so he’s definitely happy with being able to make a better cup! My parents had a BRITA water filter when I was growing up, but it’s really convenient to have one built right in to the kettle so you can fill it straight from the tap.
Once I’d made a batch of the peach flavoured green tea with my lovely BRITA filtered water, I poured it into the ice lolly moulds along with a super simple blueberry syrup, made with fresh blueberries, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a dash of maple syrup. The blueberry mixture adds even more flavour to the tea, but also stays nice and concentrated at the ends of the lollies, so the flavour changes as you work your way down. A few slices of fresh peach are also pretty nice to munch on, and I love the way they look!
I’d actually never made ice lollies before these, so this was a pretty fun experiment for me. They really couldn’t be easier – there’s basically zero cooking skill required, so they’d be great for making with kids (…or anyone else who’s a bit kitchenally incompetent). Plus, these ones are really low calorie, and pretty healthy too – much better than the super sugary ones you buy in the shops.
Are you clinging on to the last few days of summer, or are you ready to embrace the autumn?
Blueberry and peach green tea ice lollies
- 300 ml (1 generous cup) boiling water
- 2 peach teabags (I used peach flavoured green tea)
- 150 g (~ 1 cup) fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 fresh peach, cut into slices or chunks
- Pour the boiling water over the two teabags, and leave to brew for 5-10 minutes. Remove the teabags, and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, add the blueberries to a small saucepan, along with the maple syrup and lemon juice. Cook over a fairly low heat, stirring regularly, for at least 10 minutes, until the blueberries have completely broken down and the mixture is fairly thick and syrupy.
- Add a couple of teaspoons of the blueberry mixture to six ice lolly moulds. Then fill the moulds almost to the top with peach tea, and add a few slices or chunks of fresh peach. Add lolly sticks, and place in the freezer until completely frozen.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depends on exactly what ingredients you choose.