Curried bulgur wheat salad
So it seems that when I eat vegan, I eat a lot of carbs. I’m sure that’s not the case for all vegans, but since I’m relying more on beans and lentils for protein, without being willing to give up my usual potatoes and pasta, my carb intake has pretty much doubled.
I’m not sure whether I’m complaining about this or not.
On the one hand, it seems like it can’t be healthy. Carbs are the devil, right?
On the other hand… carbs are clearly awesome.
Take this curried bulgur wheat salad, for example. It’s almost entirely carbs, but I somehow still manage to convince myself it’s a full meal. And it was wonderful.
I made a big batch of this and it did packed lunches for days (it’s best at room temperature, so perfect for eating on the go). Considering my morning routine pretty much consists of stumbling from my bed to the bathroom to the front door, it’s great when I have something already made to grab without needing to open my eyes by more than a couple of millimetres.
I’m already thinking of a million different ways to mix up this ‘salad’ (which totally isn’t a salad, I’m fully aware) and customise it depending on what I feel like at the time. The curry flavour in this recipe is quite mild – just enough to add a bit of flavour to the bulgur wheat, which isn’t the most flavourful cereal out there. If you want to add even more flavour, I’m thinking some sultanas or raisins would be a good addition – and if you want even more carbs (I salute you), you could try adding some chickpeas.
- 150g bulgur wheat
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2tbsp agave nectar
- 1/2tsp curry powder (adjust to taste)
- Black pepper
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 150g sweetcorn
- 40g pine nuts
- 4tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Boil the bulgur wheat according to the instructions on the packet (around 10 minutes)
- Combine the olive oil, agave nectar, curry powder, and some salt and pepper in a jug, and mix well.
- When the bulgur wheat is cooked, drain it and add the dressing and all other ingredients.
- Mix well, and either serve immediately, or keep in the fridge for a few days.