Since I’m off sunning myself and drinking cocktails in the pool, I’ve roped in a few of my favourite bloggy friends to help me out with some guest posts to keep you guys entertained. The first comes from Tara from Noshing With The Nolands, whose blog is one of my favourites. Look at those gorgeous photos! They always make me want to dig in. Today Tara’s bringing you these Greek stuffed tomatoes, which contain all my favourite ingredients – feta, garlic, mozzarella… I’m definitely going to try this one when I get home! Take it away, Tara.
Hi everyone, I am so thrilled to be here today! I am Tara from Noshing With The Nolands and I am a huge fan of Amuse Your Bouche and all of Becca’s wonderful vegetarian and vegan recipes. Her photography makes all of her recipes so drool worthy!!! So to be able to do a post for you here today, I am very excited. I am not a vegetarian, actually a big carnivore but we do have, and hugely enjoy, our vegetarian meals that I instituted years ago, on a weekly basis. Sometimes I even sneak two in a week, no one ever complains because I load them full of flavor. One of our favorite vegetarian meals includes lentils. We usually have green, red and black in the pantry at all times.
I was lying awake one night, this is sometimes my best recipe development time, thinking of what to make Becca. It had to be something a little outstanding I thought. In my head danced the lentils, black ones. I then thought of stuffing them into tomatoes with rice, then came an idea, better yet, quinoa. I fell back to sleep happy with what I had come up with so far. When I got up, I knew I needed more flavoring than that so I started to think of Greek flavors, garlic, onions, feta, basil and these little stuffed tomatoes were born. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did. The accompaniment to them was a big leafy green and herb salad. ENJOY!!
Greek stuffed tomatoes with quinoa and black lentils
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped fine
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup quinoa cooked
- 1 cup black lentils cooked
- 1/3 cup feta crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Sprinkle of mozzarella or other white cheese I used a very salty Armenian cheese called Tresse
- 8 small to medium sized tomatoes top cut off and cored
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small saute pan heat the olive oil and saute the garlic, onion and dried basil until softened. Take this mixture and add it to the quinoa, black lentils and feta. Season with salt and pepper. Stuff the tomatoes and place in a greased baking dish placed tightly together. Top with a sprinkle of cheese and bake for 20 min. until heated through. Serve immediately.