Pumpkin pie crackers
I think I’m fiiiinally starting to understand the American obsession with pumpkin pie at this time of year. I’ve still never actually had pumpkin pie (which kind of makes my previous sentence a bit ridiculous, but go with me), but these pumpkin pie crackers were sooo tasty that I can imagine the real thing is just as good.
The idea of pumpkin pie has just never really excited me before. Vegetable pies are all well and good, but when it comes to dessert, I assumed that vegetables needed to keep well away. Turns out, pumpkin in dessert isn’t half bad.
Of course, since I’m a pumpkin pie newbie, I used a bit of artistic license on this recipe – it’s really just tinned pumpkin mixed up with some sugar, spices, and a little bit of flour to thicken it all up nicely. Then I spread a thick layer onto some flour tortillas, and cut them into random shard-like pieces (I think I got a bit carried away with the pizza cutter…), and baked them until fairly crispy.
Let me tell you: I loved these pumpkin pie crackers. They’re actually kind of like pumpkin pie cookies, so don’t be put off if the idea of a cracker seems a bit strange to you. The pumpkin layer is soft and chewy, and the tortilla goes nice and crispy – it’s an amazing combination. I also sprinkled them with a little extra sugar before baking (why not go the whole hog, right?), which got all caramelised and crispy too. I definitely had to take the plate back to the kitchen to stop me from getting through the whole lot in one sitting.
Unlike a lot of cookies / crackers, these are best eaten on the day they’re made (the tortilla loses some of its crispiness otherwise) – but if you’re desperate to keep them for a day or two, make sure you store them in an air tight container to keep them fresh for as long as possible. Enjoy!
Pumpkin pie crackers
- 200 g tinned pumpkin 1/2 a tin
- 100 g icing sugar
- 80 g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F).
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin with the icing sugar, flour and spices. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture onto two large flour tortillas, and spread it around with the back of a spoon (try to go right up to the edges if you can). Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the tortillas into pieces, and lay the pieces out on a baking tray.
- Bake for around 15 minutes, until the tortillas are slightly crispy.