Tex Mex breakfast muffin
I’m terrible at breakfast. First thing in the morning, I can usually only stomach a piece of fruit (usually a banana or apple, which the dog insists I share with her – I never knew ‘puppy dog eyes’ was a real thing until we got Pip), or at most a dollop of yogurt sprinkled with muesli. But if there’s one thing that’s going to convince me my mornings need more food, it’s this Tex Mex breakfast muffin. To be honest, Mexican food could convince me to do most things, but especially eating breakfast.
I’m sure most people are familiar with the standard breakfast muffin. Even if you’ve never had one yourself, you can probably imagine the kind of thing you might find inside. They’re often not vegetarian-friendly, with bacon or sausage accompanying the eggs, but this Tex Mex version is not only veggie, it’s also a million times better than the standard kind. Adding avocado, refried beans (be still my beating heart) and a good dash of hot sauce to something can only ever be a good thing.
I used a metal ring (this kind of thing – UK*, US*) to cook my egg in a little disc shape – I do like things to be tidy. But if you don’t have a ring, you can just make a normal fried egg instead. It won’t fit neatly inside the muffin in the same way, but who’s complaining?
However you make it, just make sure you don’t cook the yolk all the way through – there’s nothing more satisfying than the little drizzle of yolk that pours out when you cut it in half.
This Tex Mex breakfast muffin is a little messy to eat, by the way – I wouldn’t particularly recommend it for eating in the car or on the bus, unless you’ve wrapped it up really well (or you just don’t mind getting egg yolk on your car seat). The egg drips everywhere, the avocado and beans ooze out of the sides as you bite in… it’s a mess. But it’s a delicious, delicious mess.
Tex Mex breakfast muffin
- 1 English toasting muffin
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 egg
- 1 slice cheese
- 1 tbsp spicy refried beans (make sure you choose vegetarian ones)
- 1/2 small avocado
- Hot sauce
- Cut the muffin in half, and lightly toast it.
- Grease the inside of a food ring (if using), and heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Crack the egg into the ring, or directly into the pan if not using a ring. Cook over a fairly low heat for about 5 minutes, until the white is mostly cooked through. Remove the ring, then flip the egg for just a couple of seconds, to make sure the white is cooked on top. Leave the yolk runny if you can.
- While the egg is cooking, place the cheese slice on one half of the muffin.
- Cook a spoonful of refried beans for a few seconds in the microwave if you'd prefer them to be hot, then add them to the muffin on top of the cheese slice.
- Mash the avocado flesh, and spread it onto the other half of the muffin.
- When the egg is cooked, place it on top of the refried beans, and add a dash of hot sauce. Sandwich the two halves together, and serve warm.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose.
If you need to use up the other half of the avocado, it’s brilliant smooshed into an avocado sandwich!
* This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase an item using these links, I will receive a tiny (tiny!) sum of money, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for the support!