This week is National Baking Week! Since I’ve been doing a bit more baking than usual lately (much to the annoyance of my waistline), I thought it deserved to be recognised. Are you guys planning any bakes this week? If you’re not a keen baker but you’d still like to get involved, these toffee apple blondies are really easy, and are the perfect autumnal bake.
These toffee apple blondies can be mixed up in one bowl (I don’t have any desire to give myself unnecessary washing up), and then you just need to spread the mixture out in a tray, and bake. No fancy decoration, no fussy processes or weird equipment. Just one big blondie, cut into slabs.
The end result is a really good cake, with juicy pieces of apple and chewy chunks of caramel. I bought the caramel bits in the US when I was there earlier in the year – if you can’t find them in the UK, you can either buy them online* at an extortionate price (£33!!!!!), you can experiment with using little pieces of toffee or fudge (though I’m not sure which kind would work well), or you can just leave them out. These toffee apple blondies are also drenched in toffee sauce (I couldn’t help myself), so you certainly won’t miss the sweetness.
To help celebrate National Baking Week, I’ve spent the last week stocking up on cookware and bakeware at HomeSense. If you’ve been following my Instagram stories, you might have seen that I’ve been to HomeSense about three times in the past fortnight. I can’t help it, I’m utterly obsessed with the place. If I’m anywhere nearby (or even if I’m not), I just find myself drawn in.
As well as stocking a million different kinds of crockery, pots, pans, and every other kitchen item you can think of, they have tons of really lovely trinkets and ornaments, paintings, rugs, cushions…
Looking around HomeSense, it’s like looking at my dream house, if only I was tidy and organised.
Everything you can see in these photos came from HomeSense (apart from the apples and the toffee apple blondies themselves – would be a bit scandalous if I’d bought those in…). I think I’d go so far as to say it’s my favourite shop. I could spend hours there.
I did manage to drag myself away eventually, though (whether or not I returned two days later is beside the point). Now my only challenge is stopping myself from eating three toffee apple blondies a day.
Toffee apple blondies
- 130 g unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing the tray (~ 1/2 cup melted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium eggs
- 85 g caramel bits (~ 1/2 cup) - optional
- 2 small red apples, peeled and diced
- 225 g plain flour (~ 1 2/3 cups)
- 85 g light brown sugar (~ 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp toffee sauce
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F).
- Add the melted butter, vanilla extract and eggs to a large mixing bowl, and whisk to combine. Add the caramel bits (if using) and diced apple, and mix again.
- Next add the dry ingredients - the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix until well combined, but try not to overmix.
- Grease a brownie tray (mine measured 11 x 7 inches), and add the toffee apple blondie mixture. Spread the mixture out into an even layer, and bake for around 25 minutes, until the blondies are firm and golden brown, and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Prick the blondies all over with a toothpick, and pour over the toffee sauce. Spread the sauce around so that it coats the blondies. Leave to cool, then cut into squares and serve.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose.
Here’s another really easy bake – my caramel pear crumble cake, perfect for baking novices!
*This post contains an affiliate link. If you click the link and make a purchase, I will receive a very tiny sum of money, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for the support!