Mexican bean and potato bake
This Mexican bean and potato bake is a hearty, satisfying one pot dinner with plenty of fresh veg!
Servings: 4 people
- 3 fairly large potatoes, cut into bitesize pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 bell pepper (I used red), cut into bitesize pieces
- ~ 8 medium mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium courgette (zucchini), cut into bitesize pieces
- 400 g tin kidney beans, drained (240g, or ~ 1 1/4 cups, when drained)
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes (~ 1 1/3 cups)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- Black pepper
- 75 g cheddar cheese, grated (~ 3/4 cup when grated)
- Fresh coriander (cilantro), to serve (optional)
Toss the diced potatoes in a dash of oil, and spread them out in a large casserole dish or baking dish. Roast at 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F) for around 45 minutes, tossing halfway, or until mostly cooked and starting to crisp up.
Add all of the vegetables to the dish, along with the kidney beans, tinned tomatoes, and spices. Season generously, and mix to combine. Return to the oven for a further 30 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and the tomatoes have formed a rich sauce.
Top with the grated cheese, and bake for 15 more minutes, until the cheese has melted. Serve topped with fresh coriander if desired.
Serving: 1portion | Calories: 449kcal | Carbohydrates: 67.2g | Protein: 17.5g | Fat: 14.3g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 271mg | Potassium: 1899mg | Fiber: 13.8g | Sugar: 6.6g | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 6.1mg