One pot vegetarian chilli mac
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 500 ml tomato soup or passata (~ 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 70 g frozen diced onions (~ 1/2 cup, or equivalent to 1 medium onion)
- 125 g frozen sliced peppers (~ 1 cup, or equivalent to 1 1/2 bell peppers)
- 1/2 mild red chilli, finely chopped
- 4 medium mushrooms, diced
- 120 g cooked kidney beans (1/2 a drained 400g tin, or ~ 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Black pepper
- 150 ml water (~ 1/2 cup)
- 180 g uncooked pasta (~ 6.5oz) - I used spiralli
- 80 g cheddar cheese, grated (~ 1 cup grated)
- To garnish: fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped spring onions
If using Iceland’s frozen tomato soup, put it in the microwave for around 10 minutes to defrost.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions, peppers, finely chopped chilli, and diced mushrooms. Cook over a medium heat for a few minutes, until the vegetables are fairly soft.
Add the kidney beans and spices, and season well. Next add the tomato soup, water, and raw pasta. Mix well, and bring to a simmer. Cook over a medium-low heat for around 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until the pasta is cooked. Add another dash of water if you need to.
When the pasta is ready, add about half of the grated cheese, and mix to combine. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, and cook over a low heat until the cheese melts (place it under a grill / broiler if you prefer).
Serve hot, preferably with fresh coriander (cilantro) and chopped spring onions.
Serving: 1portion | Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 80.5g | Protein: 12.1g | Fat: 2.8g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Sodium: 216mg | Potassium: 29mg | Fiber: 8.7g | Sugar: 5.6g | Vitamin A: 32% | Vitamin C: 225% | Calcium: 8% | Iron: 19%