Very veggie oat bars
Packed with grated veggies, cheese, oats, and lots of other tasty ingredients, these very veggie oat bars are great for packed lunches. Plus, there's no pre-cooking required - just mix everything up in one bowl!
Servings: 9 slices
- 1 medium courgette (zucchini), grated (mine was around 315g / 11oz / 2 cups when grated)
- 3 medium carrots, grated (mine were around 200g / 7oz / 1 3/4 cups when grated)
- 225 g extra mature cheddar cheese, grated (~ 2 1/4 cup when grated)
- 150 g (~ 1 1/2 cups) rolled oats
- 80 g (~ 1/2 cup) self-raising flour
- Few sprigs fresh basil or parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp pesto (I used tomato and chilli pesto)
- 4 eggs
- 75 ml (~ 1/4 cup) milk
- 1 tsp dried thyme or parsley
- Black pepper
- Oil for greasing
Add the grated courgette (zucchini), grated carrot, grated cheese, oats, flour, chopped herbs, and spring onions to a large mixing bowl. Mix to combine. Then add the pesto, eggs, milk, dried herbs, and a good pinch of salt and pepper, and stir thoroughly until well mixed.
Grease a suitably sized baking dish, and transfer the oat mixture to the dish. Smooth out the top, and cover loosely with foil (remember the mixture will rise a little due to the self-raising flour). Bake at 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F) for around an hour, then remove the foil, and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until crisped up to your liking.
Leave to cool, or slice and serve straight away.