Walnut and Bean Bolognese
This walnut and bean bolognese is an easy veggie version of spaghetti bolognese, made only with store cupboard ingredients!
Servings: 3 people
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 390 g tin green lentils, drained (235g, or ~ 1 cup, when drained)
- 400 g tin cannellini beans, drained (240g, or ~ 1 ¼ cups, when drained)
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon dried herbs (e.g. dried parsley / dried mixed herbs)
- Salt (or a crumbled vegetable stock cube)
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree (tomato paste)
- 400 g tin (~ 1 ⅓ cups) chopped tomatoes
- 90 g (~ 1 cup) walnut halves, chopped
- Spaghetti, to serve
Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and garlic, and cook for a few minutes over a medium heat, until softened. Add the drained tins of lentils and cannellini beans, along with the paprika and dried herbs. Season generously, and cook for a further 5 minutes, until the beans are soft and everything is starting to break down. You can mash some of the beans with the back of the spoon for a finer texture.
Add the tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and chopped walnuts, and bring to a simmer. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes, until the sauce has become thick and rich, and the walnuts have softened a little. You can add a splash of water if the sauce starts to become too dry.
Serve with spaghetti.
Serving: 1portion | Calories: 458kcal | Carbohydrates: 42.1g | Protein: 18.5g | Fat: 25.6g | Saturated Fat: 2.2g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 66mg | Potassium: 974mg | Fiber: 16.1g | Sugar: 7.3g | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 5mg