Veggie burrito bowls
These veggie burrito bowls are the perfect easy Tex-Mex dinner - especially when they're piled up with your favourite toppings!
Servings: 2 people
- 150 g (~ 3/4 cup) brown rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (I used yellow)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ~ 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 400 g tin black beans, drained (240g, or ~ 1 1/4 cups, when drained)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper
- 100 ml (~ 1/3 cup) vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (however hot you like it)
- Your choice of toppings, to serve, e.g. grated cheese, sour cream, guacamole, fresh coriander (cilantro), etc.
Cook the brown rice according to the instructions on the packet - I boil mine in plenty of water until it's just soft (around 20 minutes), then drain.
Meanwhile, heat a dash of oil in a large, deep frying pan, and add the spring onions, diced pepper and garlic. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until softened.
Add the halved cherry tomatoes, black beans, paprika, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes more, until the tomatoes are just softened. You can squish them a little to release their juice if you like.
When the rice is cooked, add it to the vegetables, along with a little vegetable stock and a dash of hot sauce. Mix well to combine. Check the seasoning (you might want a little more hot sauce!), and serve with your choice of toppings.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 504kcal | Carbohydrates: 90.4g | Protein: 16.3g | Fat: 9.9g | Saturated Fat: 1.5g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 283mg | Potassium: 1006mg | Fiber: 13.8g | Sugar: 6.6g | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 5mg