One pot rice and vegetable casserole
This rice and vegetable casserole is the perfect one pot dinner, packed with veggies, rice and beans - such a hearty vegetable bake that's comforting and full of goodness.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 medium aubergine (eggplant), cut into chunky dice
- 1 medium courgette (zucchini), cut into chunky dice
- 6 medium mushrooms, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs (I used an Italian-style blend)
- 210 g (~ 1 cup) white rice
- 1 litre (~ 4 cups) vegetable stock
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 400 g tin cannellini beans, drained (240g, or ~ 1 1/4 cups, when drained)
- 2 tbsp pesto
- Black pepper
- 25 g (~ 1/3 cup) breadcrumbs (I used panko)
- 50 g (~ 1/2 cup) grated cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F).
Add the oil to a large saucepan or oven-proof casserole dish, and add the red onion, aubergine, courgette, mushrooms, garlic and mixed herbs. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until the vegetables are fragrant and beginning to brown.
If you used a saucepan that's not oven-proof, transfer to an oven-safe casserole dish. Add the rice, stock, tomatoes, beans, pesto, and plenty of black pepper. Mix well to combine.
Add a lid to the pan (or cover tightly with foil, if you don't have a lid), and bake in the oven for around 30 minutes. The rice should be fairly soft. Stir the casserole well, then add the breadcrumbs and grated cheese to the top. Bake again, uncovered, for a further 20 minutes, or until the topping is crisped up to your liking.
Serving: 1portion | Calories: 470kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 16.4g | Fat: 11.9g | Saturated Fat: 3.9g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 210mg | Potassium: 1025mg | Fiber: 13.9g | Sugar: 10.3g | Calcium: 223mg | Iron: 5mg