Mushroom and black bean smothered burritos
These vegetarian smothered burritos are the ultimate Mexican dinner - soft tortillas stuffed with a rich mushroom and black bean mixture, and smothered with a jalapeño sour cream sauce!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 4 burritos
- 100 g (~ 1/3 cup) white rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced or diced
- 8 medium mushrooms, sliced or diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp tomato puree / paste
- 145 g (~ 2/3 cup) cooked black beans (~ 3/4 of a standard tin)
- Black pepper
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 150 g cheddar cheese, grated (~ 1 1/2 cups when grated)
- 1 tbsp pickled jalapeños (I used green), finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- Toppings, to serve (optional): diced tomatoes, diced red onion, black olives, fresh coriander, jalapeños, diced avocado, etc.
Boil the rice in plenty of water until just cooked, then drain.
Meanwhile, heat a dash of oil in a large frying pan, and add the onion and mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes over a medium heat until slightly softened, then add the garlic, smoked paprika, cumin and tomato puree. Cook for a few more minutes, stirring regularly.
Add the black beans and the cooked rice, and season generously. Mix well to combine.
Take one of the large flour tortillas, and add about 1/4 of the rice mixture to the centre. Top with 1/4 of the grated cheese. Fold two sides of the tortilla inwards, then rotate through 90° and fold in the other two sides to fully wrap the burrito (see the blog post for more detailed burrito-folding tips!).
Repeat with the remaining tortillas, rice, and cheese, and place the burritos seam-side down on a baking tray.
In a small bowl, combine the finely chopped jalapeños, coriander, and sour cream. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and mix well.
Divide the sour cream sauce over the 4 burritos, and spread it around a little. Bake at 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F) for around 15-20 minutes, or until crisped up to your liking. Serve with your choice of toppings.
Serving: 1burrito | Calories: 486kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 18.7g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 10.7g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 665mg | Potassium: 417mg | Fiber: 5.4g | Sugar: 3g | Calcium: 350mg | Iron: 4.9mg