We Brits will gladly embrace any opportunity to eat a bowl of whipped cream and call it dessert. Trifle, Eton mess, posset... they’re all classic British puddings, and they’re all basically 90% cream - but just because we give them a fancy name, it seems entirely appropriate to grab an enormous spoon and dig in. No complaints here, and this kiwi lemon posset is no different.
This is a super simple version of a classic posset, made with whipped cream, mascarpone cheese, lemon curd, and an easy homemade kiwi jam. Rather than using the usual green kiwis, I used Zespri SunGold kiwis, which are basically a golden version of kiwi fruit. I find them a bit sweeter than green kiwis, so they're perfect for helping to balance out the tanginess of the lemon. It also means that you don't need to overdo it with the sugar in this dessert - the SunGold kiwis are beautifully sweet on their own. There's only actually two spoonfuls of added sugar in the whole batch, which I think is pretty great for a dessert that tastes this good.
SunGold kiwi fruits are perfectly in season at the moment, so it's a great time to make this kiwi lemon posset. It's just the kind of thing I love to make for guests, since it can be made in advance, and seems much more impressive than it actually is - it really couldn't be easier. Just whip up some cream, and stir in the other ingredients, then pop them in the fridge until you're ready to serve. I added a little sprig of fresh mint to make them look even fancier, but you can skip that if you prefer.
Oh, plus, did you know that per gram, kiwis have more vitamin C than oranges?! So I like to think of these kiwi lemon possets as some kind of health food... despite all the cream...
If you'd like to give this kiwi lemon posset a try, Zespri SunGold kiwi fruits are available nationwide from May to December 2017, in all leading supermarkets.
5 ingredient kiwi lemon posset
If you've cooked this recipe, don't forget to leave a star rating!Print Pin Comment
- 3 SunGold kiwi fruits, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
- 300 ml whipping cream (~ 1 ¼ cups)
- 250 g mascarpone cheese (~ 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoon lemon curd
- Fresh mint, to garnish (optional)
- Add the chopped kiwi fruit to a small saucepan with a couple of tablespoons of sugar. Cook over a medium heat so that the fruit releases its liquid to create a syrup. Bring to a gentle simmer, and cook for another 10 minutes or so, stirring regularly, until the mixture thickens. Be careful, as the jam will be incredibly hot - don't allow the pan to spit. Set aside to cool completely.
- Whisk the whipping cream until it forms soft peaks (it's much quicker to do this with an electric mixer!). Add the mascarpone cheese, lemon curd, and most of the cooled kiwi jam (just hold back a tablespoon or so), and mix well to combine.
- Smear most of the remaining kiwi jam around the inside of 4 small glasses, and add the kiwi lemon posset. Garnish with any remaining jam, and fresh mint if desired.
Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on your exact ingredients. Please calculate your own nutritional values if you require accuracy for health reasons.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Information above is for ¼ of the recipe.