I adore a good mushroom stroganoff – this hearty mushroom stew is one of my favourite meals of all time.
I often make a quick stroganoff in just 15 minutes, which is one of my most popular recipes on the site (I think you guys like stroganoff about as much as I do!). This version is a slow cooker mushroom stroganoff, which obviously takes a lot longer to cook than the stovetop version – but since it’s almost entirely hands-off time, it can be made with almost no effort at all!
An incredible meal, which practically cooks itself? That’s got to be a winner.
The flavour of a mushroom stroganoff is just incredible. It’s a hearty mushroom stew made with smoked paprika (my favourite spice of all time!) and sour cream. The two combine to give a silky sauce that’s not only rich and smoky, but also smooth and creamy. It’s such a wonderful combination.
I love serving my vegetarian stroganoff with white rice, which soaks up the sauce beautifully – but it’s also great paired with pasta, brown rice, mashed potato, or even just a good slab of garlic bread for dipping!
The stew itself is really low calorie (only 90 cals per portion!), so there’s plenty of opportunity for serving it with a yummy side dish.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The flavours are unreal.
- Since this is a slow cooker recipe, it’s a meal which pretty much cooks itself. You don’t need to keep returning to the slow cooker as it’s cooking – it’s very much a ‘dump in the ingredients and leave it for 4 hours’ kind of recipe, so you can be getting on with other things.
- This mushroom stroganoff is interesting and impressive enough to serve to guests (they don’t need to know how easy it was to make!). It won’t matter if the stew stays in the slow cooker for a little while longer, so it can be ready to serve up whenever you and your guests are hungry.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- mushrooms – I used chestnut mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, and button mushrooms.
- smoked paprika – it needs to be the smoked kind, not sweet paprika!
- stock cube. I like to use a solid stock cube, as this recipe doesn’t require much liquid. If you want to use liquid stock instead, you won’t need much of it, so you might want to add some additional seasonings as well.
- sour cream
- fresh parsley
See the printable recipe card below for detailed ingredient quantities.
This easy mushroom recipe requires a slow cooker. I use a digital Crock-Pot with a 4.7 litre (~ 5 quart) capacity, and this mushroom stroganoff fits perfectly. If your slow cooker is a significantly different size to mine, you may need to adjust the cooking time of this recipe slightly.
Check out my other slow cooker recipes if you’d like some more inspiration!
Here’s how to make this recipe – see below for the printable recipe with detailed ingredients and instructions.
Step 1: Add almost all of the ingredients to the slow cooker, and mix to combine.
Step 2: Cook on high for 4 hours, until the mushrooms and onions have cooked down to give a rich stew.
Step 3: Add the sour cream and fresh parsley.
Step 4: Serve with rice or pasta.
💭 Stroganoff FAQs
Stroganoff is a traditional Russian recipe that became popular in the mid-19th century. The exact recipe depends on where in the world you are, and many countries now have their own versions. My recipe is not intended to be authentically Russian.
Stroganoff was originally a beef dish, which was therefore obviously not vegetarian. However, this is definitely a vegetarian stroganoff! Mushrooms are a very common alternative ingredient to make a vegetarian version.
I think white rice does the best job of absorbing the tasty stroganoff sauce. Pasta (especially tagliatelle noodles) is also a common accompaniment.
Absolutely! This stew can easily be prepared in advance and reheated just before serving.
Slow Cooker Mushroom Stroganoff
If you’ve cooked this recipe, don’t forget to leave a star rating!Print Pin Comment
- 600 g (~ 1 ⅓ lb) various mushrooms – I used 250g portobello mushrooms + 150g chestnut mushrooms + 200g button mushrooms
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 125 ml (~ ½ cup) water
- 1 heaped Tablespoon full fat sour cream
- Black pepper
- Few sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- Roughly chop all of the mushrooms. They will decrease in size as they cook, so don’t cut them too small. If using button mushrooms, you can just halve any larger ones, and leave any smaller button mushrooms whole.
- Add the mushrooms to the slow cooker, along with the sliced onion, garlic, smoked paprika, and a crumbled stock cube. Pour over the water, and mix well to combine.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Add the sour cream to the stew, and mix until the sour cream has melted to give a creamy sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with plenty of fresh parsley.
Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on your exact ingredients. Please calculate your own nutritional values if you require accuracy for health reasons.