Easy 5 ingredient pesto tomato tart
If you’ve been reading the blog for a while, you might think that this pesto tomato tart recipe sounds very ‘me’. It’s easy, it’s cheesy, and it uses nice, straightforward ingredients. But actually, this recipe was written by a lovely lady called Isabella, who wrote the blog Coriander Queen. Izzie passed away a few weeks ago at the age of 29.
As I’ve mentioned before, the food blogging community is a close one. Despite living all around the country (and even the world!), we food bloggers keep in touch with each other on a daily basis, we meet up in person regularly, and we try to support each other whenever we can – so we’re definitely feeling the loss of Izzie. She was warm and kind, and never seemed to let her illness bring her down. She was also passionate about food and blogging.
As a community, we thought we’d all pull together today to remember Isabella in the only way we know how – by cooking! We’ve each chosen a recipe from Izzie’s blog to share today, and I went for this easy pesto tomato tart. I’ve copied out my own version of the recipe below, since Izzie’s blog has now been taken offline.
As you’ll see from the title of this recipe, this pesto tomato tart only needs 5 simple ingredients – plus a little fresh basil for garnishing, if you’re feeling fancy. I actually nearly skipped the basil garnish, because the supermarket didn’t have the kind I usually buy – but when I saw what they were selling instead, I knew I had to get some.
Isabella basil. I’m not sure whether I believe in fate, but if it exists, I imagine this is it.
I can’t drink wine at the moment, but if I could, I would have served a big glass of white alongside this pesto tomato tart, and raised it up high in a toast to Izzie. I hope you’re resting in peace.
Easy 5 ingredient pesto tomato tart
- ~ 8 pieces sun-dried tomato
- 200 g puff pastry (enough for 4 rectangles measuring ~ 6 x 5 inches)
- 4 tsp basil pesto
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- Fresh basil, to garnish (optional)
- Heat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F).
- If your sun-dried tomatoes are packed in oil, lay them on a piece of kitchen paper for a few minutes to drain any excess oil.
- Roll out the puff pastry, and cut into 4 rectangles. Score a line around each rectangle, about 1cm in from the edge, to form a border (don’t cut all the way through the pastry). Prick the centre of each rectangle a few times with a fork.
- Spread each pastry rectangle with a little basil pesto. Roughly chop the sun-dried tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, and scatter over the pastry. Add a little black pepper, then bake for around 15-20 minutes, until the pastry is crispy and the cheese is golden brown.
- While the tarts are baking, add the pine nuts to a dry frying pan, and toast over a medium heat for a few minutes, stirring regularly, until golden brown.
- Serve the pesto tomato tarts with the toasted pine nuts and some fresh basil, if desired.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Information above is for 1 tart.
Here are the other bloggers who are sharing Izzie’s recipes today – take a look around! Please note that Izzie wasn’t a vegetarian so a few of these recipes do contain meat – I’ve labelled the veggie and vegan ones, but even the meaty recipes could easily be adapted to use veggie substitutes.
Globe artichoke with balsamic dip on Natural Kitchen Adventures (vegan)
Cider, apple and sausage casserole on Farmersgirl Kitchen
Chocolate orange oat bars on Veggie Desserts (vegan)
Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies on Tin and Thyme (vegetarian)
Arancini (risotto balls) on Coffee & Vanilla (vegetarian)
Rich coffee cupcakes on BakingQueen74 (vegetarian)
Gingerbread cupcakes with orange buttercream on The Veg Space (vegan)
Marmalade and ginger loaf cake on The Crafty Larder (vegetarian)
Ginger and oat cookies on Kavey Eats (vegetarian)
Amatriciana pasta on Kitchen Sanctuary
Treacle tart on Patisserie Makes Perfect (vegetarian)
Crispy fried halloumi on Supper In The Suburbs (vegetarian)
Chocolate fridge cake on Jo’s Kitchen (vegetarian)
Chocolate almond butter cookies on Rough Measures (vegetarian)
Eggless chocolate chip cookies on Simply Sensational Food (vegetarian)
Boozy decadent hot chocolate on Fab Food 4 All (vegetarian)
Easy no bake blackberry cheesecakes on Casa Costello (vegetarian)
Best coriander / cilantro recipes on Fuss Free Flavours (some vegetarian)
Easy gingerbread popcorn snack on Celery & Cupcakes (vegetarian)
Elderflower and vodka cocktail slush on The Hedgecombers (vegetarian)
Fruit flapjacks on The Petite Cook (vegan)
Tomato, garlic and prawn spaghetti on Hungry Healthy Happy
Lemon drizzle loaf cake on Penne For Your Thoughts (vegetarian)
Chicken ramen on It’s Not Easy Being Greedy
Stuffed Nutella cookies on Munchies And Munchkins (vegetarian)
Easy Berry Compote on Eats Amazing (vegetarian)
Caipirinha on Lovely Appetite (vegetarian)
Garlic and Lime Coriander Prawns on Travels for Tatse