I thought about naming this recipe ‘fajita frittata’, but I thought that was just a little too much of a mouthful, even for me (though I have now got a great idea for a tongue twister…). So taco frittata, it is! I tend to put very similar ingredients in both my fajitas and my tacos, so either way works. It’s basically a veggie and bean taco, in frittata form – I do love giving an old favourite a revival in a completely new form!
This taco frittata is simple, but so so effective, and the flavours are gorgeous. Best frittata I’ve made in years.
The frittata itself is fairly simple – it starts with onions and peppers, cooked slowly in a pan until they’re soft and sweet. Add some black beans, and some spices for that gorgeous taco flavour. I used smoky paprika, earthy cumin, and some cayenne for spice… but you could easily just use a pre-mixed taco powder if you prefer.
Then it’s time for the cheesy egg mixture. I love to mix the grated cheese right through the egg rather than just sprinkling it on top – that way the flavour gets right through and gives an even cheesier tasting frittata.
And to top off the simple taco frittata – toppings! Just like any good taco should have. I added shredded lettuce, tomato, corn, and some roughly crumbled tortilla chips for that taco crunch. Other great options: avocado / guacamole, sour cream, jalapeños, fresh coriander (cilantro), or whatever else you fancy.
The toppings take a simple bean and veggie frittata (which, don’t get me wrong, is completely delicious in its own right) up a notch to become a really irresistible dinner. It’s pretty healthy overall, but the crumbled tortilla chips do make it feel a bit special and add that extra bit of texture!
Now, what else can I reimagine in frittata form? Or in taco form?! Hmm, I wonder what a frittata taco would look like…
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 bell peppers, sliced (I used green and yellow but red would be even better!)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne chilli pepper
- 120 g cooked black beans (~ 3/4 cup, or 1/2 a drained 400g tin)
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated (~ 1 cup when grated)
- Black pepper
- To serve, your choice of: shredded lettuce, corn, diced tomato, avocado, guacamole, crumbled tortilla chips, sour cream, jalapeños, etc.
- Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan, and add the sliced peppers and onion. Cook over a medium-low heat until soft and sweet - at least 5 minutes. Add the spices and black beans, and cook for a few more minutes. Arrange the veggies so they're consistently distributed across the pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, grated cheese, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the vegetables in the pan. Cook over a medium-low heat for a few minutes. Then place the pan under a grill (broiler) on a medium heat for another few minutes. Alternate between the hob and grill a couple more times until the frittata is cooked all the way through.
- Serve with your choice of taco-style toppings - I used shredded lettuce, diced tomato, corn, and crumbled tortilla chips.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Information above is for 1/4 of the frittata, not including toppings.