Garlic and parsley fries
I don’t buy oven chips very often because they’re one of those things that’s easy to make from scratch, and actually even better than the shop-bought version. Case in point: crunchy, fluffy chips with fresh parsley, garlic, and plenty of salt and pepper. So simple, but oh-so-good.
I like to leave the skins on mine, for several reasons: it’s where most of the nutrition is; you avoid wasting a good proportion of the potato by peeling it; they taste good and get nice and crispy; I am far too lazy to peel my potatoes (which, let’s face it, is probably the main reason).
I chopped my potatoes up pretty much as thin as I could because I felt like making American-style fries rather than fat British chips, but you can make thicker ones if you prefer (though they might take a few minutes more in the oven).
Don’t be intimidated by the raw garlic in this recipe – I actually think that it isn’t remotely overwhelming once it’s all mixed together. However if you’re not a garlic obsessive like myself you might want to stick to two cloves, and perhaps make these on a day when you’re not going to be seeing anyone important, just in case (probably not a good recipe to make on a first date).
Don’t forget the dip!
Completely off-topic question: in my last few posts I haven’t been putting my usual titles on my images. Generally I find that titled images get pinned the same amount as non-titled images, so I stopped. What are your opinions on this – do you like titled images?
- 350g potato (about 1 large potato)
- 2-3tbsp oil
- Black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C (Gas Mark 6 / 400°F).
- Cut the potato into thin chips. Toss them in the oil and season generously. Lay the chips out on a baking tray, in a single layer if possible, and bake for around 45 minutes, gently tossing them halfway through cooking.
- When the chips are crispy, add them to a large bowl along with the minced garlic and chopped parsley, and again toss gently. Add extra seasoning if required. Serve immediately.