Easy vegetarian fajitas, made Mediterranean with balsamic vinegar, feta cheese and a herby yogurt dressing. Quick and delicious!
Greek fajitas - like normal Mexican fajitas, but with less spice, and more feta cheese. Because everything in life benefits from more feta cheese.
Fajitas were one of the first meals my husband and I cooked together, back when we were young and unskilled, and lived in revolting shared accommodation at uni. A dinner that only requires one pan is very attractive when all the other pans are dirty. And even now that I have my own lovely clean kitchen, I still very much appreciate having minimal washing up to do - so a one pan dinner is always a winner for me.
Fajitas literally couldn't be easier to make (which is why we used to make them so often). Fry some vegetables --> put in a tortilla --> eat. Bish bash bosh. This time I made them a little more Mediterranean with some balsamic vinegar, crumbled feta cheese, and a herby yogurt dressing. Still easy, still delicious, and relatively healthy too!
I cooked my veggies in a griddle pan because I love the stripey char lines you get on the veg (don't get me started on char lines again...). If you don't have one, just use a frying pan instead. Throw some balsamic vinegar over the veggies while they're still over the heat, so it cooks off and just leaves you with its lovely intense flavour. Then just wrap 'em up in some bread!
I used these fancy flatbread things I found in the supermarket, but any old flatbread or tortilla will work. I cooked them briefly in the griddle pan before I cooked the veg (can't... resist... the char...), but you can skip that step if you want to. I'm all for making things easier.
Just don't forget the feta!
If you've cooked this recipe, don't forget to leave a star rating!Print Pin Comment
For the balsamic vegetables:
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small courgette (zucchini)
- 1 red onion
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Black pepper
For the herby yogurt dressing:
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- Small bunch fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Black pepper
To assemble the Greek fajitas:
- 4 flatbreads or flour tortillas
- 4 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- Cut the red pepper, courgette and red onion into strips.
- Heat a little oil in a griddle pan (or a frying pan, if you don't have a griddle pan). Add the vegetables, and cook over a fairly high heat for 5 minutes, tossing regularly, until the vegetables are soft and lightly charred.
- In a small bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar with the dried oregano and some salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the cooked vegetables, and return to the heat for another minute or two.
- To make the yogurt dressing, add the garlic and parsley to a mini food processor, and blitz until finely chopped. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, and plenty of salt and pepper, and blitz again to combine.
- To assemble, divide the vegetables between the four tortillas / flatbread, and top with the herby yogurt dressing and some crumbled feta cheese.
Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on your exact ingredients. Please calculate your own nutritional values if you require accuracy for health reasons.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Information above is for one fajita.
This has easily became one of our favorite recipes. I did alter it a bit though since it wasn't enough for 2 people. I use two large zucchini's and two bell peppers. My boyfriend is allergic to onion, so we omit that. Other than that, we eat this just about weekly.
Becca @ Easy Cheesy Vegetarian says
Amazing! Thanks so much Katelyn :)
William Scof says
I absolutely Love this, and you’re so right, feta makes everything better!
No don't forget the feta at all!! These looks amazing. I love easy and less dishes too.
Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy says
We love making Greek flatbreads, and of course the more feta on them the better!
Yes please! Never thought of adding feta to fajitas, but I just know it's gonna taste amaing.
Love those Greek flavors, I'd put feta on everything if I could!
This looks so delicious. I just can't wait to try this out! YUMMY!
Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook says
What a fun twist to fajitas. I can rarely resist balsamic.
Sarah @ Champagne Tastes says
oh yummmm.. except I want all the spice AND the feta haha. So yummy!
Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche says
Haha that would probably work too! :D
They look so simple and delicious, these grilled veggies and crumbled feta cheese - perfect for lunch to work :)