These pizza hot dogs are made with vegetarian sausages, topped with melted mozzarella and your favourite toppings. A match made in heaven!
The other, much larger part of me thinks that pizza never (ever) needs any apology. I have yet to find anything that isn’t improved by slathering it with tomato sauce and adding a good amount of melted mozzarella, and I will pizz-ify things until the end of my days. Here’s hoping you agree.
To add to the pizza vibe of these pizza hot dogs, you can top them with whatever pizza toppings you usually like on your pizza (how many times can you say pizza in a sentence?). My favourites are mushrooms, olives and sweetcorn, so that’s what I went for. Just pick whatever toppings you fancy.
Vegetarian hot dog sausages
I don’t often use faux meat on this blog, but vegetarian hot dogs are one of the few veggie ‘meats’ that I think are absolutely spot on. It’s really hard to tell the difference between the vegetarian ones and the meat ones.
I mean, I haven’t eaten meat for nearly 20 years, so really I haven’t got a clue what I’m talking about… but given how little actual meat there probably is in even the ‘real’ ones, it wouldn’t surprise me if I’m talking truth. Give them a try if you haven’t already!
I griddled mine for a few minutes after boiling them, mostly just because I enjoy the char lines – but you can totally skip this step if you want to.
I nestled my hot dog buns right up against each other when I added my sauce and cheese – I enjoy the dramatic moment of pulling them apart and seeing that mozzarella streeeeetch. You can top them individually though, if you only want to make one or two – they’re very low effort, so you don’t have to make a big batch unless you want to.
What toppings would you put on your pizza hot dogs?
Pizza hot dogs
- 4 vegetarian hot dog sausages
- 4 hot dog buns
- 8 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 large handful grated mozzarella
- Your choice of pizza toppings, e.g. mushrooms, black olives, sweetcorn, onions, peppers, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4 / 350°F).
- Cook the hot dog sausages according to the instructions on the packaging. Mine were frozen, so I boiled them first, then cooked them for a few minutes in a hot griddle pan.
- Cut the hot dog buns in half lengthwise, and add the hot dogs. Place them on a baking tray. Spoon some tomato sauce over the top, and sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese. Add your favourite pizza toppings (I used sliced mushrooms, black olives and sweetcorn).
- Bake for around 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and turned golden brown.
- Alternatively, if you’d rather not use your oven, place the hot dogs under the grill (broiler) for a few minutes instead.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Information above is for 1 hot dog.