Y’all know… can I get away with saying ‘y’all’? I’m thinking not, though it’s definitely at least 80% of the reason I’d quite like to be an American. I'm obviously still watching far too much Nashville.
Anyway, y’all know how much I dig pizza (I definitely can’t pull off ‘dig’, but we’ll go with it) - so much so that I do just about anything I can to eat it as often as I can, while pretending it’s an entirely different meal (see: pizza baked gnocchi, cauliflower pizza, Indian-style pizza, etc). And, since my nacho roasted chickpeas went down so well allllll that time ago (18 months!!), I thought I’d do a pizza version. Pizza roasted chickpeas!
When I say pizza, of course I really just mean that these roasted chickpeas are flavoured with cheesy tomatoey bits, no bread. So really, this is totally healthier than actual pizza - protein-rich chickpeas rather than nutritionless white bread (and there ends the only time I will ever say anything remotely negative about pizza. Don’t worry, I’m perfectly happy to eat nutritionless white bread 90% of the time).
I’ll warn you, these chickpeas were incredibly difficult to dish up - purely because the cheeky things kept trying to jump into my mouth. I just couldn’t stop them (I’ll admit, I probably could have tried harder).
My favourite thing about this dish is (obviously) the cheese - you get a combination of stringy, melty mozzarella and the crispy bits from around the edge of the pan. Together with the rich sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil, they give the perfect pizza flavour.
I had these chickpeas on their own for lunch, but serve them alongside a big heap of veg (I'm thinking something green and leafy maybe?) and they'd make a great dinner too. Nutritious and delicious.
Pizza roasted chickpeas
If you've cooked this recipe, don't forget to leave a star rating!Print Pin Comment
- 400 g tin chickpeas 240g when drained, drained
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mixed Italian dried herbs
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3 large chunks sun-dried tomato finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 30 g shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- Heat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F.
- Toss the chickpeas in the oil, Italian herbs and seasoning, and spread out in a single layer on a baking tray. Roast for around 15 minutes, until slightly crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and add the tomato puree, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, basil, mozzarella and pine nuts. Mix well, and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted and just started to go crispy around the edges. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on your exact ingredients. Please calculate your own nutritional values if you require accuracy for health reasons.