Y’all know… can I get away with saying ‘y’all’? I’m thinking not, though it’s definitely at least 80% of the reason I’d quite like to be an American. I’m obviously still watching far too much Nashville.
Anyway, y’all know how much I dig pizza (I definitely can’t pull off ‘dig’, but we’ll go with it) – so much so that I do just about anything I can to eat it as often as I can, while pretending it’s an entirely different meal (see: pizza baked gnocchi, cauliflower pizza, Indian-style pizza, etc). And, since my nacho roasted chickpeas went down so well allllll that time ago (18 months!!), I thought I’d do a pizza version. Pizza roasted chickpeas!
When I say pizza, of course I really just mean that these roasted chickpeas are flavoured with cheesy tomatoey bits, no bread. So really, this is totally healthier than actual pizza – protein-rich chickpeas rather than nutritionless white bread (and there ends the only time I will ever say anything remotely negative about pizza. Don’t worry, I’m perfectly happy to eat nutritionless white bread 90% of the time).
I’ll warn you, these chickpeas were incredibly difficult to dish up – purely because the cheeky things kept trying to jump into my mouth. I just couldn’t stop them (I’ll admit, I probably could have tried harder).
My favourite thing about this dish is (obviously) the cheese – you get a combination of stringy, melty mozzarella and the crispy bits from around the edge of the pan. Together with the rich sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil, they give the perfect pizza flavour.
I had these chickpeas on their own for lunch, but serve them alongside a big heap of veg (I’m thinking something green and leafy maybe?) and they’d make a great dinner too. Nutritious and delicious.
Pizza roasted chickpeas
- 400 g tin chickpeas 240g when drained, drained
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mixed Italian dried herbs
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 large chunks sun-dried tomato finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 30 g shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- Heat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F.
- Toss the chickpeas in the oil, Italian herbs and seasoning, and spread out in a single layer on a baking tray. Roast for around 15 minutes, until slightly crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and add the tomato puree, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, basil, mozzarella and pine nuts. Mix well, and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted and just started to go crispy around the edges. Serve immediately.