When I first took the lid off my slow cooker, I wasn’t sure if I was going to post about this recipe – it’s not the most attractive dish I’ve ever made, and it turns out it’s really tricky to photograph the inside of a slow cooker. But, then I had a taste and my jaw dropped (not literally, not with a mouthful of food anyway) – this Mexican casserole is one of my favourite things that I’ve ever made in my slow cooker. So please look past its somewhat scruffy appearance and the slightly dodgy photos, and just think about how it tastes!
The texture of this casserole is actually pretty hard to describe – it’s not quite eggy, not quite bready, not quite spongy… it’s just a fluffy mixture that’s surprisingly filling at the same time. Along with my favourite Mexican-style ingredients (black beans, corn, coriander, jalapeños), it makes an awesome low-effort dinner. As with all of my slow cooker recipes, there’s absolutely no pre-cooking required – literally just add everything to the pot, give it a good mix, and you’re done. Easy peasy.
The best thing about this casserole is the crust around the edge. You know that weird ‘magic cake’ thing, where you just make one mixture, and as it cooks it separates into three distinct layers? Well, this casserole does a similar thing – the middle stays soft and fluffy, and the edge crisps up to form the perfect cheesy crust. It’s not quite like a quiche (it’s a bit spongier than that because of the flour), but it’s in the same vague family. Second cousins, perhaps. In a way it’s like a healthier way to make a quiche – you still get a crust, but without having to use any pastry.
We served this casserole as a meal in itself, but you could use it as a side dish too – make it a real Mexican feast. Nom nom!
Slow cooker Mexican casserole
- 25 g butter melted
- 200 ml milk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp hot chilli powder
- Black pepper
- 250 g sweetcorn kernels drained
- 400 g tin black beans 240g when drained, drained and rinsed
- 10 slices pickled jalapeños I used red, finely chopped
- 100 g grated cheese I used a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella
- Fresh coriander chopped, to serve
- To a fairly small slow cooker (mine's 3.5 litres), add the first 9 ingredients: melted butter, milk, eggs, flour, baking powder, paprika, chilli powder and seasonings. Whisk well until smooth. Then add the corn, black beans, chopped pickled jalapeños, and grated cheese, and mix again.
- Cook for around 6 hours on medium, until the middle has set and the outside is crispy.
- Serve topped with fresh coriander if desired.