The only thing better than a creamy wild rice and mushroom soup? A creamy wild rice and mushroom soup that’s made in the slow cooker! Dump everything in, and boom. A super tasty dinner.
In case the photos aren’t enough to convince you, let me tell you a bit about this soup. It’s got garlic, heaps of mushrooms, parsley, cream and wine. Yes, all of that. The most creamy, flavourful and luxurious mushroom soup you’ll ever have. Nobody needs to know quite how easy it was to make.
Start off by cooking the onions, garlic and mushrooms in the slow cooker until they’re nice and soft and fragrant, along with a good glug of dry white wine (at this point it already smells amazing). I used this Chilean sauvignon blanc from Premier Estates. It’s nice and crisp, and slightly fruity. I’m no wine expert, but I thought it went really, really well in this mushroom soup – it added a lovely depth of flavour. It was pretty great served in a glass at the side too…
Then just add the rice. In the past I’ve not had a huge amount of success cooking rice in the slow cooker – I remember attempting to make a risotto in the slow cooker one time, and ending up with a big smooshy mess. It was not pleasant.
I’ve realised that the key is to not overcook the rice – it may sound obvious, but when you’re used to putting things in the slow cooker and leaving them to bubble away all day long, it’s an easy mistake to make! Once you add the rice, it will only need about two more hours to cook – still plenty long enough for you to get a few jobs done while it’s cooking, but not so long that you can completely forget about it. So it’s probably best to save this recipe for a day when you’ll be at home!
Once the rice is fully cooked, you can finish everything off with a dash of cream, and plenty of fresh parsley. I like a really good pinch of black pepper too. And don’t forget the extra glass of Premier Estates sauvignon blanc to wash it all down!
Slow cooker wild rice and mushroom soup
- 1 large onion, halved then thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 700 g mushrooms, sliced (~ 7 cups sliced) - I used half white mushrooms and half chestnut mushrooms
- 150 ml dry white wine (~ 1/2 cup)
- 400 ml hot vegetable stock (~ 1 1/2 cups)
- 180 g white and wild rice mix (~ 1 cup)
- 3 tbsp cream
- Small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- Black pepper
- Add the onion, garlic and sliced mushrooms to the slow cooker, and pour over the white wine. Cook on high for 2 1/2 hours, stirring and scraping down the sides after the first hour if you can.
- When the vegetables are very soft, add the vegetable stock and rice, and mix well. Cook on high for a further 2 hours, or until the rice is fully cooked.
- Add the cream and fresh parsley, and season to taste. Serve immediately.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose.