I do love a good dinner bowl, but I thought it only fair that breakfast get a look in too – hence these smoky black bean breakfast bowls!
If you’re not familiar with the ‘dinner bowl’ concept, they’re basically just lots of tasty ingredients piled up together in a bowl. They’re an easy way to make a healthy dinner, and the possibilities are endless (see a couple of my previous dinner bowl recipes: aubergine red Thai curry noodle bowls; kale and tomato brown rice bowls).
These black bean breakfast bowls follow the same formula (a carb + a protein + a few veggies), but with a breakfast twist. They actually make a really decent, hearty meal if breakfast-for-dinner is your kind of thing – or, if you have time in the morning, they’re great to serve for brunch too.
So, what exactly is included in these smoky black bean breakfast bowls?
– smoky black beans (in case you hadn’t guessed) – simply cooked with smoked paprika and chipotle sauce for a smoky, spicy flavour
– crispy potatoes – one of the best parts of any breakfasts in my opinion
– a fried egg – since adding an egg automatically makes any meal suitable for breakfast
– cherry tomatoes and avocado – two of my favourite breakfast veggies
Finish everything off with a good scattering of fresh herbs and a generous pinch of black pepper, and you’ve got a tasty breakfast bowl that will hopefully see you all the way through to dinner time!
As I said, dinner bowls (and breakfast bowls too, of course) are really versatile, so you can mix up this recipe however you like. If you want a vegan breakfast bowl, swap the fried egg for a quick tofu scramble. If you’re not keen on crispy potatoes (weirdo), just add a slice or two of toast instead. Add more veggies, mix up the spices in the black beans, slather everything with hot sauce… the choice is yours.
Let me know how you get on!
Smoky black bean breakfast bowls
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 400 g tin black beans, drained (240g, or ~ 1 1/4 cups, when drained)
- 1 tsp chilli powder (mild or hot)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle hot sauce (or other favourite hot sauce)
- Black pepper
- 2 eggs
- ~ 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, diced
- Small handful fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Wash the potatoes, and prick them a couple of times with a fork. Cook in the microwave for a few minutes, until they are fairly soft (perhaps around 6 minutes - don’t worry if they’re not 100% cooked at this stage). When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them up, and add them to a frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil. Cook for around 5 minutes each side, until crispy and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add the drained tin of black beans to a small saucepan, along with the chilli powder, smoked paprika, chipotle sauce, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until the beans are completely soft and piping hot (add a tablespoon of water if necessary).
- Fry the eggs in a little oil, then serve with the fried potatoes, smoky black beans, cherry tomatoes, and diced avocado. Top with fresh coriander if desired.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose.