Fajitas have got to be one of the best dinners there is – you can pretty much use whatever veggies you have in the fridge, they’re full of flavour and spice, and they couldn’t be easier to make. In fact they’re one of the first dinners that my husband and I made together, back when we were fresh-faced young students in about 2007. I learned to cook all kinds of things around that time – I remember texting him when I made my first ever spag bol from scratch, so proud of myself! Oh, how things have changed in 10 years…
If you don’t like tortillas, or you can’t eat bread, or you just don’t have any in the house, don’t feel you have to miss out on making fajitas! These veggie fajita bowls are just as easy and tasty, but the spicy fajita veggies are served up on a pile of rice rather than wrapped in a tortilla. I also added some grilled halloumi (my obsession continues – you can skip it if you’re sick of halloumi by now!), a simple homemade salsa, and a dollop of sour cream to balance out the spice.
The best thing about these veggie fajita bowls – apart from being flipping delicious – is how easy they are to adapt. Use shop-bought salsa if you’re in a hurry, swap the grilled halloumi for some grated cheddar, add some fresh avocado or guacamole, use different veggies… you never need to make them the same way twice. They’re guaranteed to be a success, however you make them!
Aaaand, they make a pretty healthy, balanced dinner too, so feel free to load up your bowl and go crazy.
(…as crazy as it’s possible to go with fajitas…)
Veggie fajita bowls
- 210 g uncooked brown rice (~ 1 cup)
For the fajita veg:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 medium courgette (zucchini), cut into sticks
- 2 bell peppers, sliced (I used red and yellow)
- 3 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Black pepper
For the simple homemade salsa:
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Few sprigs fresh coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- Black pepper
- 9 slices halloumi cheese
- Sour cream
- Fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Chopped spring onions
- Hot sauce
- Boil the brown rice in plenty of water, until cooked to your liking (around 20 minutes), then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok, and add the chopped vegetables. Add the spices, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook over a high heat, stirring regularly, for about 5-10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and just beginning to char.
- To make the simple homemade salsa, add the diced tomatoes to a bowl with a chopped spring onion and some fresh coriander (cilantro). Add a pinch of salt and pepper, and mix to combine.
- Cook the halloumi in a frying pan or griddle pan, until golden brown on each side. Here are some more detailed instructions, if you need them.
- To assemble your veggie fajita bowls, serve the cooked brown rice into three bowls. Top with the vegetable mixture, the grilled halloumi, and the homemade salsa. Finish with a dollop of sour cream, some chopped coriander and spring onions, and a dash of hot sauce.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Information above is for 1/3 of the recipe.