If you know anyone who thinks that vegetables have no flavour, this is the recipe you need to make for them. This veggie pasta proves that you don’t need a million ingredients to create a tasty recipe – it’s flavoured with nothing but tons and tons of vegetables (not literally – don’t worry, you don’t need to go off and start a farm).
Artichokes, asparagus, corn, tomatoes, and chives – all things that are at their absolute best in the spring and summer. If I’m being entirely honest, I actually used artichoke hearts from a jar, so the fact that they’re seasonal is less relevant here, but my excuse is that jars of artichokes come with a beautiful fragrant oil, which is just perfect for adding a bit of gloss to the recipe. Together with the sweet cherry tomato juices and the toasted corn, the flavours in this veggie pasta are just irresistible.
If you really do want to use fresh artichokes, you can, but you’ll obviously need to prepare and cook them before you add them to the dish. I’ve actually never cooked with fresh artichokes (they’re not all that common in the shops in the UK), so I can’t really advise about how you should go about this, but it’s always looked a bit fiddly for me, so you’re probably best googling it! You’ll also need to add a good glug of olive oil and perhaps some extra fresh herbs to recreate the flavour of the marinade. But really… I’d just go with the jarred stuff. Much tastier, and much less effort. In fact, this entire dish takes just 15 minutes to make!
This veggie pasta recipe is vegan, by the way, so it’s the perfect light and fresh meal for springtime. Use wholewheat pasta if you’d like to be even healthier. Or alternatively, slather it with cheese if you’d like to be a bit more indulgent…
By the way: if you’re on Facebook, you can now join my very own group, celebrating all things veggie! It’s not only a great place to keep up to date with the latest Amuse Your Bouche recipes, it’s also a place to ask questions about anything to do with vegetarian cooking, and even to share your own veggie recipes. I’d love it if you would all come and join me! You can find the group here. Thanks!
Veggie pasta with artichokes and asparagus
- 250 g pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 inch stalks asparagus trimmed and cut into 1 chunks
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 50 g sweetcorn kernels
- 100 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 in marinated artichoke hearts note: a lot of jars will contain quartered hearts, which case you'll need 12 pieces, cut into chunks
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- Boil the pasta until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan, and add the asparagus, garlic and corn. Cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat, then turn the heat down a little and add the tomatoes and artichokes. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 more minutes, until the tomatoes have begun to break down and the vegetables are all fully heated through. Season to taste, and add the fresh chives.
- When the pasta is ready, drain it, and add it to the pan with the vegetables. Mix to combine. If you think it needs it, add a tablespoon or so of the oil from the artichokes - mine was actually fine without this addition. Serve immediately.