Summer vegetable pasta in garlic butter sauce
It’s the weekend! Woooop! Fridays never fail to make me unbelievably happy, especially when it’s the summer and it’s gloriously sunny. And when I’m happy and it’s sunny, I totally crave vegetables and juice and all those other healthy things that I usually pass over in favour of cheese and bread and other far less sensible things. Hence, this veggie-packed lunch – summer vegetable pasta in garlic butter sauce. Um, did you hear that? Garlic butter sauce. Even if you hate vegetables, it’s totally worth making this just so you can lick the bowl afterwards.
I love how colourful this recipe is. It automatically makes me feel virtuous. Oh also, I used whole-wheat pasta in a half-hearted effort to be healthier. Despite my usual opinion that it tastes like cardboard, I actually enjoyed it in this. I must be growing up! I haven’t yet decided if this is a good thing or not. Anyway, I guess I’ll be using whole-wheat pasta again, although I resent having to pay literally five times more than I do for the white stuff. I guess it’s worth it in the end.
This recipe is just done on the stovetop, so it’s perfect for those of you who don’t like to turn your ovens on in the summer. It never really gets quite that hot here, but it must be unbearable to live in a place where everyone has to have built-in air conditioning in their own house. Here we just open a window if we want to let a breeze in and cool down a bit, but I’ve heard people say that in some places that makes it hotter, as it lets all the hot air in. Ugh, I’m sweating just thinking about it.
If you like the look of this, you might also like my deconstructed pesto pasta. And yes, I know I seem to be obsessed with throwing tomatoes around. They’re just too pretty!
- 70g spaghetti (I used whole-wheat)
- 25g butter
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 small courgette, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ~8 cherry tomatoes
- 3tbsp tinned sweetcorn kernels, drained
- Black pepper
- 2tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Vegetarian parmesan-style cheese, to serve (optional)
- Boil the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan along with the olive oil, and add the sliced courgette. Cook over a medium heat for a few minutes, then add the garlic, tomatoes and corn, and cook for a further 8-10 minutes over a medium-low heat, until the courgette is soft.
- Season to taste, and add the chopped parsley.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and add it to the pan with the vegetables. Toss to coat in the buttery sauce, and serve immediately, with parmesan cheese if desired.