These Tuscan beans are not only packed with tasty Italian flavours, the recipe is also so easy to adapt - and it can be on the table in just 15 minutes!
I love a super quick meal! I'm lazy at the best of times, but especially being 8 months pregnant, I can only stand around for short periods of time before needing a good rest. So if I can get dinner on the table in 15 minutes, that's a win for me!
These 15 minute Tuscan beans are absolutely perfect. An insanely tasty dinner, served up in no time. What could be better?
If I'm being honest, I actually have no idea whether this dish is remotely Tuscan. I've seen lots of recipes with similar ingredients (mostly using chicken!) described as Tuscan, so that's what I've gone for here, but as usual, authenticity wasn't my primary aim here.
All I know is - this Tuscan bean recipe uses all sorts of incredible, tasty ingredients, mixed through some soft and creamy white beans:
- red onion
- marinated artichokes (best thing in the world!)
- sun-dried tomatoes
...and if that list doesn't make you want to cook these beans immediately, I don't know what will!
15 minute dinner
The key to making these Tuscan beans in just 15 minutes is to use tinned cannellini beans.
I always use tinned beans anyway, as they're so convenient and I never plan far enough ahead to soak and boil dried beans - but they're especially brilliant when making a super quick dish like this.
Just add a couple of tins of beans to a frying pan with some red onion and spinach, and you're halfway there!
Heaps of flavour
The final step is to add all those tasty ingredients that really elevate a simple bean dish to something a bit special.
As mentioned, I used artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes - both come marinated in a beautiful flavoured oil, and really make this dish feel pretty luxurious.
There's still plenty of goodness in these Tuscan beans, but they're a bit of a treat too.
What else could I add to these Tuscan beans?
One of the best things about this recipe is how adaptable it is! I have a feeling I'll be making this one often, and I know I won't make it the same way twice. There are all sorts of other ingredients you could throw into the pan, which will all bring different flavours and textures, without taking any longer to cook than that precious 15 minutes.
Here are a few ideas:
- black olives
- grated cheese (vegetarian parmesan would work well!)
- a dash of cream
- fresh cherry tomatoes
- a dollop of pesto
- toasted pine nuts
- fresh basil
(or all of the above!)
How should I serve these Tuscan beans?
I served mine as a meal on their own, with just a bit of garlic bread on the side.
Yes, I know I have garlic bread on the side all the time. It photographs well, and I do like an excuse to eat as much garlic bread as I can.
If you prefer, a big salad would work well too, or some crusty bread and butter.
You could also serve these Tuscan beans as a side dish alongside another Italian-inspired favourite.
How would you serve your 15 minute Tuscan beans?
15 minute Tuscan beans with artichokes and spinach
If you've cooked this recipe, don't forget to leave a star rating!Print Pin Comment
- Few cubes of frozen spinach (or 1 handful of fresh spinach, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced or diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 x 400g tins cannellini beans drained (480g, or ~ 2 ½ cups, in total when drained)
- ~ 10 pieces marinated artichoke hearts, cut into bitesize pieces
- ~ 10 pieces marinated sun-dried tomato, cut into bitesize pieces
- Black pepper
- Lemon juice, to serve (optional)
- If using frozen spinach, defrost it in a bowl in the microwave.
- Heat a dash of oil in a large frying pan, and add the red onion, garlic and spinach. Cook for a few minutes over a medium heat, then add the drained tins of cannellini beans. Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Next, add the the artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes, and mix to combine.
- Heat through, then season to taste and serve with a squeeze of lemon juice if desired.
Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on your exact ingredients. Please calculate your own nutritional values if you require accuracy for health reasons.