Don't you just love it when a simple combination of flavours ends up being absolutely amazing? These avocado and sweet potato wraps aren't particularly adventurous - they're stuffed with roasted veggies, avocado, rocket, and a super simple pesto mayonnaise - but somehow the flavours just work so well together. I've always loved avocado and pesto together in a wrap, but adding the roasted sweet potato just takes it to the next level.
The only bit of pre-cooking that these avocado and sweet potato wraps require is to roast the vegetables. As well as the sweet potato, I roasted up some peppers, but you could add whatever vegetables you fancy. Cook them until they're nice and soft, and starting to crisp up on the edges (those caramelised bits are the best!).
Then it's just an easy assembly job! Roasted veggies, sliced avocado, and a handful of fresh rocket (arugula). I also added a dollop of pesto mayonnaise (literally just pesto mixed with mayonnaise... I don't see the point in making things needlessly complicated!), which was a brilliant addition. It really helps to bring everything together, so don't skip it (use vegan mayo if you need to!).
These wraps are great eaten hot or cold, so feel free to pop them in a lunchbox - you may have the fanciest lunch in your office, but it'll be worth it. I'd let the roasted veggies cool before packing it up though - cook them the night before if you're short on time.
The end result is pretty spectacular - fluffy roasted sweet potato with crispy caramelised edges, juicy roasted peppers, smooth and creamy avocado, a bit of peppery crunch from the rocket, and a pop of that lovely basil flavour from the mayo.
Is it wrong to make the same thing for lunch three days in a row? Because I think I might just do it.
Avocado and sweet potato wraps
If you've cooked this recipe, don't forget to leave a star rating!Print Pin Comment
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Black pepper
- 2 bell peppers, cut into thin slices (I used red and green)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (use vegan mayo if necessary)
- ½ tablespoon basil pesto
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 small handfuls fresh rocket (arugula)
- Heat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F). Toss the diced sweet potato in a dash of oil, and spread it out in a single layer on a baking tray. Season with salt and pepper, and roast for about 10 minutes. Then add the thinly sliced peppers to the tray, mix to combine, and roast for a further 30 minutes or so, until the vegetables are very soft and starting to crisp up and caramelise around the edges.
- Add the mayonnaise and pesto to a small bowl, and mix well to combine.
- Spread the pesto mayonnaise in a line down the centre of two large flour tortillas. Top with the roasted vegetables (warm or cooled to room temperature), sliced avocado, and a small handful of fresh rocket. Tuck in the ends of each tortilla, and roll tightly. Cut in half to serve.
Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on your exact ingredients. Please calculate your own nutritional values if you require accuracy for health reasons.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Information above is for one avocado and sweet potato wrap.
I absolutely LOVED this recipe. I used frozen roasted sweet potatoes to cut back on the prep time, and subbed jalapeño hummus for the mayo spread (we hate mayo!). It was fantastic, and the extra spice took it to the next level! We also used lavash instead of tortillas...yum!
Becca @ Easy Cheesy Vegetarian says
Sounds great! Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did :D
Becca @ Easy Cheesy Vegetarian says
these are my new quick dinner fave!! thanks so much for all your amazing recipes!! and a beautiful website as well...
Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche says
Thank you so much Lisa! :)
That looks delicious
I looove avodacos so much, this recipe is awesome, thank you!