Cheesy tortilla breakfast bake - veggies, eggs and wholewheat tortillas. An easy and healthy make-ahead vegetarian breakfast!
Breakfast is usually my least favourite meal of the day. I know there are some people who absolutely love it, but I just can't get that excited about cereal and toast. Breakfast always seems to consist of the same three or four meals over and over and over again - and as you can tell from this blog, I like eating different things every day of the week, not just bran flakes, corn flakes, yogurt, porridge, and repeat.
That's why I love discovering new ways to make a delicious, healthy breakfast. This cheesy tortilla breakfast bake may well be my new go-to for days when I have a bit more time to relax in the mornings.
It's a bit like a breakfast version of enchiladas, really - buttery sautéed veg and cheddar cheese, wrapped in mini tortillas, and covered in a spicy egg mixture. The egg gets right inside the rolled tortillas - the end result is a little bit like a baked frittata, but with little pockets of cheese and veggies, and those yummy tortillas which get nice and crispy on top. It's seriously delicious, and definitely enough to convince me that breakfast ain't so bad after all.
Of course, since you do need to allow time for the breakfast bake to... well, bake, this recipe is best suited to a lazy Saturday morning - the sort of thing you can look forward to all week long. It'd be great for serving to guests too, if you're the kind of person who throws fancy brunches - just pop it in the oven, and when it's nice and puffed up and golden brown, it's ready to be served.
Cheesy Tortilla Breakfast Bake
If you've cooked this recipe, don't forget to leave a star rating!Print Pin Comment
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ~12 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 6 small wholewheat tortillas
- 85 g low fat cheddar cheese, grated (~1 cup grated)
- 6 eggs
- 350 ml skimmed milk (~ 1 ⅓ cups)
- 1 teaspoon hot chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4 / 350°F).
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, and add the chopped mushrooms, onion and pepper. Cook for around 5 minutes, until fairly soft.
- Divide all of the vegetable mixture and most of the cheese evenly across the six tortillas, spooning it along the centre of each. Roll each tortilla tightly, and place seam side down in a lightly greased baking dish.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the milk, chilli powder and garlic powder. Pour the mixture over the tortillas, making sure it gets inside each rolled tortilla. Sprinkle any remaining cheese on top, and add a pinch of black pepper.
- Bake for around 40 minutes, or until the eggs are completely set and the cheese is golden brown. Leave to stand for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on your exact ingredients. Please calculate your own nutritional values if you require accuracy for health reasons.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Information above is for one tortilla roll (⅙ of the recipe).