Chocolate Easter nests
After my hot cross bun bread and butter pudding the other day, I felt like making some more Easter treats. I decided to go with a classic: chocolate Easter nests. For some reason Easter is always associated with cute things like fluffy bunnies and baby chicks, so I guess that’s where the ‘nest’ thing becomes relevant. But since these have nothing to do with Jesus, they’re more of a general springtime treat really.
These are the sort of treat I used to make when I was about four years old. My selling point for this recipe is that it’s a good way to get kids involved in the kitchen… but I don’t have a kid. I made these all on my own, and I enjoyed every second of it. No shame!
All you need to do is mix some melted chocolate with some shredded wheat, and there you have it. Easter nests (yep, I really am sharing this as if it’s an actual recipe).
I like the fact that you’re getting some whole grains in the shredded wheat (definitely counts as healthy food), but if you’re not a fan, you can use corn flakes or any other cereal you like. They won’t look as nest-like, but I’m 100% sure I don’t care, so you shouldn’t either.
Since this recipe only actually has 3 ingredients and there’s very little to say about it, I guess I should tell you a bit more about where I’m going to be for the next couple of weeks. On Saturday I’m getting married. On Monday I’m getting on a plane to Mexico. On Tuesday (and Wednesday, and Thursday, etc etc) I will be lounging in the pool sipping cocktails, and enjoying an 24-hour all you can eat buffet.
I will be seriously disappointed if I come back any less than five pounds heavier.
So, that’s where I’ll be. I’ve got some blog posts lined up to entertain you for when I’m away, including some guest posts from some of my favourite bloggy friends. I hope you’ll keep coming back even though I will be completely ignoring your comments for two weeks. I’ll get back to you in May, I promise!
Until then, hasta la vista (baby)!
(um, that’s Spanish right?)
Chocolate Easter nests
- 200 g milk chocolate
- 50 g shredded wheat two big bricks of it
- 12 Cadbury mini eggs or similar
- Break the chocolate into pieces, and microwave it on full power for around 2 minutes, stirring halfway, until fully melted. Crumble the shredded wheat, and mix it into the chocolate.
- Divide the chocolate mixture into six cupcake cases, trying to leave them quite rough on top so they look more nest-like. Put a couple of mini eggs on top of each, and push them down a little.
- Place in the fridge for at least a couple of hours to set fully.