Who else is madly in love with roasted veg?
I’ve said it before and I’ll almost certainly say it again – roasting is the less supernatural (and slightly more time-consuming) version of waving a magic wand over vegetables. It can literally transform something from a hard, bland lump to a sweet, sticky, crispy nugget of deliciousness.
(and apparently this is a more poetic version of a normal Amuse Your Bouche post…)
However, as much as I love roasted veg, I don’t want to eat them day after day – being a food blogger, I’m used to rarely repeating the same meal twice! So whenever I have leftover vegetables, I try to repurpose them in some way. For me, leftover roasted veg will now forever lead to roasted vegetable chickpea pâté!
I’ve made a similar vegan pâté before (walnut and roasted garlic chickpea pâté) – chickpeas and walnuts give such a great pâté-like base, and you can then add whatever flavourings you like. Last time I went for roasted garlic, this time I just crammed in as many roasted vegetables as I could fit into my food processor. The result was completely amazing – you get all the flavours of the roasted veg (slightly sweet, slightly earthy), in a perfectly spreadable format.
I served my roasted vegetable pâté with some pitta bread for dipping, but you could also go for veggie sticks (if you want a veg overload), or you could even go super fancy and serve it with toast triangles (crusts removed, of course). This vegan chickpea pâté would be a great quick appetiser to whip up when you have friends over, to serve with some wine!
Roasted vegetable chickpea pâté
- 40 g walnuts
- 100 g cooked chickpeas I used tinned
- 300 g leftover roasted vegetables I used a mixture of carrots, red and yellow peppers, mushrooms, onions and sweet potato
- 1 tbsp basil pesto
- ~3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Add the walnuts and chickpeas to a food processor, and blitz until a coarse paste has been formed. Add the vegetables and pesto, and blitz again until smooth.
- Adjust the thickness of the pâté with as much extra virgin olive oil as you need.