Ever since I discovered sauteed gnocchi, I've absolutely adored it. Gone are the days when I thought gnocchi was dense and tasteless - throw it in a pan to get it nice and toasty, and it becomes light and fluffy inside, with crispy bits outside. Heaven.
Of course, after you've toasted your gnocchi you're still only half way there. Now comes the tricky bit - how to serve it?
Since gnocchi is pretty filling, I often find that putting a full sauce on top makes it feel a bit too heavy. Obviously I'm willing to make an exception for something like pizza gnocchi... but usually I'm looking for a lighter option.
Hence: toasted gnocchi salad!
No heavy sauce, just a few tasty ingredients that add heaps of flavour without making your gnocchi feel smothered.
As usual, I've called this a salad, but really it's much more than that. It's a collection of yummy bits, with a token bit of greenery to justify its name. A handful of pine nuts and fresh garlic get toasty alongside the gnocchi, and peppery rocket and juicy sun-dried tomatoes can be tossed through the gnocchi just before serving. A squeeze of lemon and a good pinch of black pepper are the only other things this gnocchi salad needs - apart from a few shavings of parmesan, if you're so inclined (I am.).
All in, you can have this tasty lunch on the table in less than fifteen minutes. Not half bad.
Toasted gnocchi salad
If you've cooked this recipe, don't forget to leave a star rating!Print Pin Comment
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 500 g gnocchi (~ 3 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tablespoon pine nuts
- Large handful fresh rocket (arugula)
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
- Vegetarian parmesan-style cheese, to serve (optional)
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan, and add the gnocchi (in a single layer, if possible). Cook over a medium heat for around 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Add the garlic and pine nuts, and cook for a few more minutes, until the pine nuts are lightly toasted and the garlic is fragrant.
- Toss the toasted gnocchi with the rocket, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, and plenty of black pepper. Serve topped with shaved parmesan, if desired.
Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on your exact ingredients. Please calculate your own nutritional values if you require accuracy for health reasons.
Note: nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Information above does not include parmesan shavings.