This recipe makes one perfect portion of black bean soup in just 15 minutes. It's super tasty, quick and versatile!
Black bean soup is definitely one of my favourite soups ever, if not the favourite. Black beans seem to have so much more flavour than other beans. I don't know if it's just a psychological thing, because they give such a beautifully dark, rich soup - but whatever the reason, they're damn tasty.
The best thing about this black bean soup (aside from being yummy) is that it only takes 15 minutes to make!
Fellow lazies, I've got your back.
This recipe makes one perfect portion, so it's great to make if you're home alone. Of course, it can easily be scaled up if you want a bigger batch, but this recipe has come to my rescue time and time again when I've been on my own. With no-one around to see, it's all too tempting to reach for a bag of crisps or a packet of biscuits and call it lunch, but it's not exactly a good idea. This 15 minute black bean soup is much more sensible - it's quick and easy to make, it's totally delicious, and it's much healthier than a packet of biscuits (quite the compliment).
Oh, and it's very faff-free too - because who can be bothered to spend ages prepping ten different kinds of fresh veg when you're only cooking one portion of something?
Since the black bean soup itself is so simple, I like to liven mine up with a nice bit of garnish. You can add whatever you fancy - a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, chopped coriander (cilantro), spring onions, a squeeze of lime, freshly chopped tomatoes, avocado, grated cheese... or just whatever you happen to have in the fridge.
📖 Printable Recipe
15 minute black bean soup
If you've cooked this recipe, don't forget to leave a star rating!Print Pin Comment
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 400 g tin black beans, drained (240g, or ~ 1 ¼ cups, when drained)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot chilli powder
- ½ tablespoon chipotle hot sauce (or other favourite hot sauce)
- Black pepper
- To serve, your choice of: Greek yogurt or sour cream, chopped spring onions, chopped coriander (cilantro), lime juice, grated cheese, diced tomato, etc.
- Dice the tomatoes, and add them to a small saucepan with the remaining soup ingredients. Cook over a medium heat for around 10 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft. Squash the tomatoes with the back of the spoon, and season to taste. If you'd like a thinner soup, just add a dash of water.
- Serve the black bean soup with your choice of garnish.
Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on your exact ingredients. Please calculate your own nutritional values if you require accuracy for health reasons.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Information above is for the full recipe.