We've been eating a lot of asparagus lately. Not only is it one of my favourite vegetables, it's also great for baby led weaning, as Eden can grab it in a fist and chomp on one end.
I've also been trying to waste less food this year. Doing as much cooking as I do, unfortunately some veggies sometimes get left behind, which isn't great. So this asparagus and feta vegetarian pâté is a great way to use up the last few bits of asparagus in the fridge. You could even add extra cooked vegetables if you have other things to use up (although the colour might end up a bit less appetising!).
I love making vegetarian pâtés - basically just fancy hummuses (hummi?). The options are endless - different kinds of beans, spices, vegetables... This one is made with asparagus (cooked in a griddle pan, so you get those gorgeous charred bits - so much flavour!), as well as feta cheese, chickpeas, garlic, and a few other tasty extras.
You can serve your vegetarian pâté simply on toast (it would make a nice appetiser for a dinner party), or in a sandwich - I just added lots more grilled vegetables. Some more crumbled feta would be good too!
I also like to use this kind of pâté as a pasta sauce - just thin it out with a little water or olive oil. It's a good way to use up the last of the batch without feeling like you're eating the same thing too many times in a row!
Now, what vegetarian pâté to make next...?
Asparagus and feta vegetarian pâté
If you've cooked this recipe, don't forget to leave a star rating!Print Pin Comment
- 200 g asparagus (~ 20 medium spears - use more if they’re particularly thin)
- 400 g tin chickpeas, drained (240g, or ~ 1 ¼ cups, when drained)
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 80 g feta cheese, roughly crumbled (~ ⅔ cup when crumbled)
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Black pepper
- Add the asparagus spears to a griddle pan over a high heat, and cook until it is fairly soft and slightly charred. You can use a frying pan if you don't have a griddle pan, but you won't end up with the same char.
- Add the cooked asparagus to a food processor, along with the drained chickpeas, garlic, and feta. Blitz until roughly chopped. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper, and blitz again until smooth. For a thinner mixture, just add a dash of water.
- Serve chilled.
Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on your exact ingredients. Please calculate your own nutritional values if you require accuracy for health reasons.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Information above is for ¼ of the recipe.