Cheesy bean roast
In case I didn’t offer enough vegetarian Christmas dinner ideas for you the other day, here’s one more – a crispy, cheesy bean roast. Nut roasts are a pretty standard option for us vegetarians at Christmas time, but if you don’t like nuts, or you’re allergic to them, I imagine you’d be a bit stuck. So this cheesy bean roast is a similar idea, but it’s nut-free. Hooray!
The base of this cheesy bean roast is made from beans (obviously) – both whole beans, and a tin of refried beans. They give a ton of flavour to the bean roast, so make sure you use a brand you love. I use these ones (Amazon UK* / Amazon US*) and I love love love them. They look a bit like cat food, but they taste amazing. They have a little spice to them, but not enough that they’d disturb the usual balance of a Christmas dinner.
In the past I’ve tried a supermarket’s own version of refried beans, and they were truly revolting – so make sure you know you like whichever ones you’ve chosen before building your bean roast around them!
Then you just need to add some grated cheese, oats, and a grated courgette (zucchini), and you’re basically done. The courgette melts right into the mixture and you can barely detect it once it’s cooked, but I like to think it’s adding some extra nutrition.
You could cook your cheesy bean roast as more of a loaf if you like, but I think it works best cooked in a thinner layer. The top gets nice and crispy, and it stays softer underneath. The crispy top is the best bit in my opinion, so I say the thinner the better (within reason!).
Add some Brussels sprouts, roast potatoes, bread sauce (recipe coming soon!), and whatever other veggies you fancy, and this cheesy bean roast will give you the perfect vegetarian Christmas dinner.
Cheesy bean roast
- 80 g butter, melted (~ 1/4 cup when melted)
- 65 g (~ 1/2 cup) plain flour
- 65 g (~ 1/2 cup) rolled oats
- 400 g tin kidney beans, drained (240g, or ~ 1 1/4 cups, when drained)
- 400 g tin black beans, drained (240g, or ~ 1 1/4 cups, when drained)
- 435 g (~ 1 1/3 cups) refried beans
- 150 g cheddar cheese, grated (~ 1 1/2 cups when grated)
- 1 small courgette (zucchini), grated
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper
- Spray oil for greasing
- Add the melted butter to a large mixing bowl, and add the flour and oats. Mix well, then add the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Lightly spray a suitably sized roasting tin with oil, and add the bean roast mixture. Spread it into an even layer (you don't need to smooth out the top - any craggy bits will get nice and crispy!). Bake at 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F) for around 45-60 minutes, until browned and crispy on top.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose. Information above is for 1/6 of the recipe.
Serve your cheesy bean roast alongside some of my perfect roast potatoes for a great Christmas dinner!
* This post contains a couple of affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, I will receive a tiny (tiny!) referral fee, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for the support!