This recipe is destined to be the star of your vegetarian Christmas dinner this year: cheesy carrot nut roast!
Not to blow my own trumpet or anything (even though I totally am), but I think this may well be the ultimate nut roast recipe. It would be absolutely perfect for Christmas dinner - or any other dinner, come to that. It's cheesy and flavourful, it's packed with protein, and it goes beautifully alongside roast potatoes and gravy.
I know that some nut roasts aren't particularly inspiring. But far from being dry and tasteless like some that I've been served in the past (and, let's be honest, one or two I've made myself...), this nut roast recipe starts off with a crumble-style oat mixture which gives it a really lovely, hearty texture, and makes it feel like a real treat. Cannellini beans and walnuts add protein and make it nice and chunky, and grated carrot and a bit of cheddar cheese add a huge amount of flavour. I'm practically drooling just thinking about it.
Rather than serving up my nut roast in loaf form, I cooked it in a shallow roasting dish. Bigger surface area = more crispy bits on top = even more delicious.
If you'd prefer to make a loaf, I'm sure that would be great too - I'd probably just turn down the oven a little, and cook it for a longer amount of time to make sure it cooks right the way to the centre.
All in all, this is one nut roast I could quite happily eat every single day (in fact, you may even want to double the recipe to make sure you have plenty of leftovers!).
We're getting seriously close to Christmas now, with just over a week to go. What are your plans for Christmas dinner? Make sure you share your photos with me, I'd love to see! If you still need some inspiration, check out my collection of vegetarian Christmas dinner recipes!
📖 Printable Recipe
Cheesy Carrot Nut Roast
If you've cooked this recipe, don't forget to leave a star rating!Print Pin Comment
- 80 g butter, melted (~ ¼ cup)
- 65 g plain flour (~ ½ cup)
- 65 g rolled oats (~ ½ cup)
- 400 g tin cannellini beans, drained (240g, or ~ 1 ¼ cups, when drained)
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated (~ 1 ⅓ cups grated)
- 100 g walnuts (~ 1 cup), roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Black pepper
- Heat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F).
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter with the flour and oats, and mix well. Add the remaining ingredients, season well, and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture out in a lightly greased roasting tray, and bake for around 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on your exact ingredients. Please calculate your own nutritional values if you require accuracy for health reasons.