Coconut oats with brown sugar bananas
Hello, new favourite breakfast! And I don’t just mean new favourite vegan breakfast, I mean favourite breakfast full stop. I would never have guessed that this recipe was vegan had I not made it myself. It actually feels pretty naughty to be eating something that feels so decadent for breakfast, but since it contains bananas, I’m going to go ahead and tell myself that this is totally healthy.
You start with a simple porridge (that’s oatmeal to you American folk) made with a combination of coconut milk and almond milk. If you’re not vegan, you can use normal cow’s milk instead of the almond milk if you prefer, but don’t skip the coconut milk! It adds a gorgeous richness to the oats, as well as the slight coconutty flavour. I left my porridge unsweetened, since I knew I would be topping it with sliced bananas that have been sautéed in brown sugar, agave and cinnamon… Oh my word. I don’t think there’s much more that needs to be said about that. But I’ll say more anyway because I just can’t help myself.
Cooking the bananas in brown sugar creates an incredible syrup that’s infused with the banana flavour, and is perfect for drizzling all over your oats. This stuff is good. I’m talking, dip-your-fingers-in-before-it’s-even-ready good. It’s get-your-face-in-the-pan-to-get-the-very-last-drop good (make sure you’ve let it cool down a bit first!). End-up-with-it-all-round-your-mouth good (the best kind of good).
I’ve said that this recipe will feed 1-2 people – it only makes one bowlful (as shown in the pictures), but because of all the coconut milk and banana and whatnot, this stuff is rich! If you have a healthy appetite in the mornings, I’m sure you’ll polish off a whole bowlful yourself, but if like me, you have the appetite of a mouse for the first few hours of the day (don’t worry, I make up for it at dinner time…), you could probably stretch this to feed two.
- 50g rolled oats
- 150ml coconut milk
- 150ml unsweetened almond milk (or normal milk)
- 1/2 tbsp margarine (or butter)
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2tbsp brown sugar
- 1tbsp agave nectar (or honey)
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- Combine the oats in a saucepan with the coconut milk and almond milk, and heat gently, stirring regularly, for 5 minutes or so, until the oats are cooked. You can adjust the consistency of the porridge by either adding a dash more milk to make it thinner, or simmering for an extra minute or so to thicken it up.
- While the oats are cooking, melt the margarine in a frying pan and add the bananas, brown sugar, agave nectar and cinnamon. Cook over a medium heat for a few minutes (you want the sugar syrup to be gently bubbling), gently turning the banana slices over halfway through.
- When the porridge is at your desired consistency, serve topped with the banana slices and brown sugar syrup.
If you’d rather a savoury breakfast, try these breakfast tostadas with spinach, feta and a fried egg:
(PS, remember to enter my giveaway!)