Without even realising it, I seem to have become the world's biggest fan of tostadas. I make them all the time these days! I began with my breakfast tostadas topped with spinach and a fried egg, moved onto quick and easy veggie tostadas with refried beans and guacamole, and now I've made these Italian-style tostadas with pesto and parmesan cheese. They're just such an easy lunch - all you really need are a few mini tortillas (or I suppose a big one if you're extra hungry), and you can basically top them with whatever you fancy. I often make them as a way to use up whatever veg I have left in the fridge.
These roasted vegetable tostadas are really just as quick and easy as the ones that I actually named 'quick and easy veggie tostadas', but I didn't think I could use the same recipe name twice. I really like using pesto as a sauce - I often use it on pitta bread pizzas. It saves opening a big jar of tomato sauce that will take days to use up, or spending ages making your own. A little jar of pesto will keep for at least a week or so in the fridge, and since the jars are only small you can use them up pretty easily if you need to. Pesto is also far more exciting than plain old tomato sauce, and adds to the Italian feel of these tostadas.
I used sun-dried tomato pesto because it's what I had on hand, but you could use normal basil pesto, or whatever else you fancy. And you certainly don't have to be as lazy as I am - although opening a jar of pesto is easy, it doesn't take too much longer to make your own. If I hadn't been feeling even more lazy than usual I would have made my sun-dried tomato and black olive pesto.
To make these tostadas, you start by roasting your veg. I used red and yellow peppers and some broccoli (cut into nice small florets), but as I said, you can choose whatever you fancy. Then they just need piling up on your pesto-topped tortilla, topping with some grated parmesan, and popping back in the oven to get nice and melty. It couldn't be simpler.
- ½ yellow pepper, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 100g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1tbsp oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano (or your favourite dried Italian-style herb)
- Black pepper
- 2 mini flour tortillas
- 4tbsp pesto
- 40g vegetarian parmesan-style cheese, grated
- 1tbsp fresh parsley or basil, chopped, to serve (optional)
- Toss the chopped vegetables in the oil with the oregano and a little salt and pepper, and roast at 190°C (Gas Mark 5 / 375°F) for around 25 minutes, until fairly soft.
- Meanwhile, spread the tortillas with the pesto.
- When the vegetables are fairly soft, pile them up onto the two tortillas, and sprinkle with the grated parmesan. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes or so, just until the parmesan has melted and the tortillas are slightly crispy.
- Serve immediately, topped with some fresh parsley or basil if desired.
Deena Kakaya says
Thank you so much for entering the FFF Challenge. You ITALIAN-STYLE ROASTED VEGETABLE TOSTADAS sounds and looks delicious, one that I will have to try very soon. Fits perfectly with the #fabfusionfoods challenge.