I do love a humble sandwich. I don’t get to enjoy them very often – I’m usually too busy experimenting with new ideas for the blog (though to be honest, not much experimenting happens – I usually just put the word ‘pizza‘ in front of something and call it a day… just kidding. Kinda). Or, if I’m not cooking anything new, there’s usually a fridge full of leftovers to get through instead.
But somehow this week the stars aligned, and I was able to enjoy this Greek salad sandwich for lunch. It was so unbelievably good! I very rarely enjoy recipes with the word ‘salad’ in the title, but Greek salad is different. When something involves feta cheese, it’s very hard not to enjoy it.
This sandwich is built from all the best parts of a Greek salad, plus a couple of sneaky extras to take it to the next level. Tomatoes, cucumber, black olives, feta… and, since this Greek salad sandwich is all about that fresh crunchiness, I added some crisp lettuce too. I used a bag of Florette ‘Sweet Crispy’ salad – it’s so, so much more convenient than buying a whole lettuce. This particular variety is the perfect happy medium between something like iceberg lettuce (which is nice and crunchy, but a bit watery) and something like rocket (which has lots of flavour, but no crunch). Crunch and flavour = one amazing sandwich.
Of course, if you prefer a different kind of lettuce, Florette have lots of other options instead. Something for everyone.
I also whipped up a small batch of black olive hummus for this sandwich. When I say ‘whipped up’ it sounds as if I’m being modest about making something really complicated (the same way people say ‘oh it’s just something I threw on’ when they’re wearing a ball gown or something), but really – it’s so easy. A few ingredients in a food processor, and bam. Homemade hummus. It’s great for adding some protein to this Greek salad sandwich, and gives a nice creamy texture.
All in all: one very satisfying Greek salad sandwich! Grab yourself a bag of Florette and let me know what you think.
Greek salad sandwich with black olive hummus
For the black olive hummus:
- 1 small clove garlic
- 120 g cooked chickpeas (1/2 a drained 400g tin, or ~ 3/4 cup)
- ~ 20 black olives
- 2 tsp tahini
- 2 tbsp water
- Black pepper
For the Greek salad sandwiches:
- 4 slices bread
- 4 leaves large lettuce
- 12 slices cucumber
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 3 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp sliced black olives
- Add the garlic, chickpeas and black olives to a mini food processor, and blitz for around 10 seconds until roughly chopped. Add the tahini and a little water, and blitz again to form a smooth paste. If you need to, add a little more water, to create your desired consistency. Season with a good pinch of black pepper.
- Spread the hummus over the four slices of bread, and layer up the sandwiches with the lettuce, sliced cucumber, sliced tomato, crumbled feta, and sliced black olives.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose.