I adore a Thai curry, and I’m always looking for new ways to use my favourite Thai curry paste. It’s such an easy way to make an immensely tasty dinner. This spicy veggie laksa is basically a new twist on an old favourite – any excuse!
Laksa is a spicy noodle soup that’s made in various forms all over East Asia, with each region putting their own spin on the dish. I suppose this is my own spin, since I didn’t really follow any recipe in particular – it may not be authentic, but it was bloomin’ delicious.
I tend to prefer egg noodles usually, but since laksa traditionally uses rice noodles (…at least, it does according to my trusty Wikipedia – don’t say I don’t do my research…), I used them this time instead. To be honest I thought they tasted much the same as usual – not sure why I thought I didn’t like them before! They also have the added benefit of being gluten-free and vegan, so hopefully most people will be able to enjoy this recipe. Spreading the veggie laksa love!
I topped my spicy veggie laksa with some crispy tofu – a great way to add some protein to the dish. As usual, I just fried the tofu until it was golden brown and crispy all over – be patient with it, it takes a little while! It’s so worth it to avoid soggy, spongey tofu.
Et voilà! This spicy veggie laksa is an easy vegan dinner that’s jam packed with flavour. I made mine nice and fiery, but feel free to skip the extra chillies if your curry paste is hot enough on its own!
Spicy veggie laksa with crispy tofu
For the crispy tofu:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 200 g extra firm tofu, cut into 1.5cm dice (~ 1 cup when diced)
- Black pepper
For the veggie laksa:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/2 small mild red chilli, finely diced (optional)
- 2 tbsp red Thai curry paste
- 1 carrot, sliced or cut into ribbons with a peeler
- 1 bell pepper, sliced (I used yellow)
- 1/4 head broccoli florets
- inch ~ 6 spears asparagus, cut into 2 pieces
- 250 ml tinned coconut milk (~ 1 cup)
- 250 ml vegetable stock or water (~ 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Black pepper
- 200 g fresh rice noodles (~ 2 cups)
- Fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Fresh basil
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan, and add the diced tofu. Season generously with salt and pepper, and leave to cook over a medium-high heat for around 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until the tofu is golden brown and very crispy all over.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan or wok, and add the minced garlic, ginger, and chillies if using. Cook over a medium heat for a couple of minutes, until fragrant. Add the curry paste, veggies, coconut milk, veggie stock, and soy sauce, along with a pinch of black pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer, and cook for around 5-8 minutes, until the vegetables are tender but not overcooked. Add the rice noodles, and cook for a couple more minutes, until the noodles are cooked.
- Serve the veggie laksa with the crispy tofu, topped with plenty of fresh coriander (cilantro) and basil.
Note: Nutritional information is approximate, and will depend on exactly what ingredients you choose.